go by

Some residents of the Gaothans have taken the fight to the court but if these new buildings are anything to go by, they might just be losing the battle.

Please explain the highlighed parts. (Particularly I don't know the meaning of `go by' but you explain the highlighted parts along with go-by)

Re: go by

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    Some residents of the Gaothans have taken the fight to the court but if these new buildings are anything to go by, they might just be losing the battle.

Please explain the highlighed parts. (Particularly I don't know the meaning of `go by' but you explain the highlighted parts along with go-by)

If these buildings are anything to go by - if these buildings are an example [of what is to happen/be done] - the residents of the Gaothan will not win their case.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    If these buildings are anything to go by - if these buildings are an example [of what is to happen/be done] - the residents of the Gaothan will not win their case.
    Thank you Anglika.
    What you mean (of what is to happen/be done)?

Please don't ask for more context because the page has been removed from that site.

Well, maybe the buildings in the original text were new office buildings which the city approves of. In that case, the city will not support an attempt to stop more buildings being constructed.

Sorry - without fuller context, that is really the best I can do.