Question Unless...nor unless , or what ?

In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hello guys, what do you think of the following sentence:" stress is normal , unless it is exessive nor stresssors are chronic and traumatic ?.
    Is using "nor " merely right ?, or do I need to add another "unless"?. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by the arrow of egypt; 10-Jun-2007 at 13:41.

Re: Unless...nor unless , or what ?

Stress is normal, unless it is exessive nor stressors are chronic and traumatic.

The sentence is fine mattering ''nor'', but the word ''stressors'' combining with ''chronic and traumatic'' is a bit odd...

p.s. You better not use the word STRESSOR. Maybe it can be STRESS FACTORS.

Quote Originally Posted by the arrow of egypt View Post
    stress is normal, unless it is exessive nor stresssors are chronic and traumatic ?. Is using "nor " merely right ?, or do I need to add another "unless"?.
    I ... don't understand the sentence. Nor is a correlative conjunction. It has a mate, neither. What happened to neither?

Stressors is a good noun. Use it; e.g., Hans Selye, a pioneer in the field of stress research, proposed that stressors of many different kinds result in a nonspecific bodily response. SparkNotes: Stress, Coping, and Health: Stress and Stressors

Correction
    There's no space before a question mark, and there isn't a period after a question mark.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

...stress is normal , unless it is excessive nor stresssors are chronic and traumatic.
    Does it make the desired sense with or?

b

Before every thing ,many thanks to Jason 72 , Casiopea and Bobk for their attention . I'd like then to rectify my self :
    _ it is " excessive " , with "c".
    _ it is " nor are stressors ...........
    So , the sentence should be : " stress is normal , unless it is excessive, nor are stressors chronic and traumatic ".

" Nor" can be used as a conjunction meaning " and not " to introduce an alternative, after a first alternative that is preceded by " neither " ( used in negative statements ) You can say: "I have neither the time nor the money ". It can also be used as same as neither _ especially in a literary context, you say :"he can't do it, nor (neither) can I ".
    "Nor" can also be an adverb meaning " and not either" to indicate that what has just been said also applies to somebody or something else , or to add extra information to what has just been said ( used after negative statements and followed by" have","do" or "be"), you say : He doesn't want to move to another town,nor do I , or: No surrounding tissue was damaged , nor did the infection spread.
    I think "nor" can also be used as same as "than" , but it is nonstandard. It would be better if somebody gave us examples on this case.
    Last edited by the arrow of egypt; 11-Jun-2007 at 17:21.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I'm sorry. "Nor" is wrong. The sentence as you've written it means

"Stress is normal unless it is excessive, and [in any case] stressors are neither chronic nor traumatic."

To say this would be ridiculous.

If what you mean is

Stress is normal unless it is excessive, and provided that the stressors are neither chronic nor traumatic

then you should use the version I suggested previously, with "or" AND NOT "NOR". If you insist on using "nor", be my guest; but you will not be making normal use of the language I have been speaking for many, many years, and that you claim to be interested in learning

b

... the sentence should be : " stress is normal , unless it is excessive, nor are stressors chronic and traumatic ".
    In addition to Bobk's suggestions, there are two things the examples below have in common that your example sentence above lacks.

neither...nor
    I have neither the time nor the money.
    1. negative + nor
    2. neither noun + nor noun

not...nor
    He can't do it, nor (neither) can I.
    He doesn't want to move to another town, nor do I.
    1. negative + nor
    2. can not + nor can; do not + nor do <same verbs>

no...nor
    No surrounding tissue was damaged, nor did the infection spread.
    1. negative + nor
    2. negative clause + nor clause

Now, we don't see the above patterns 1. and 2. here:

?...nor
    Stress is normal, unless it is excessive, nor are stressors chonic or traumatic.
    1. positive + nor
    2. positive clause + nor clause

Try, negating the main clause,

Ex: Say the word stress and people automatically assume its bad for you. Well, it isn't, and nor (neither) are stressors chronic or traumatic.

Note, even though nor begins a new clause, it's connected to the previous clause. So, if the clause it sits in expresses a new topic, like the one you have, you'll need to add in a conjunction to show that. Remember, nor is not a conjunction on its own. It pairs up with neither, not, and no.

Does that help?

Smile Re: Unless...nor unless , or what ?

I understand now that both of my sentences were wrong. Please tell me if one the following sentences is wrong as well:
    - Stress is normal , unless it is excessive and stressors are chronic or traumatic.
    -Stress is normal, if it is not exessive , and neither stressors are chronic nor traumatic.
    -Stress is normal , unless neither it is excessive , nor are stressors chronic or traumatic .
    Well Cas and Bobk, I'm really grateful for both of you .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

- Stress is normal , unless it is excessive and stressors are chronic or traumatic.
    -Stress is normal, if it is not exessive , and neither stressors are chronic nor traumatic.
    -Stress is normal , unless neither it is excessive , nor are stressors chronic or traumatic .
    My suggestions: (Remember not to leave a space before your punctuation mark.)
    - Stress is normal, unless it is excessive or the stressors are chronic or traumatic.
    -Stress is normal, if it is not exessive, and the stressors are neither chronic nor traumatic.
    -Stress is normal, if it is neither excessive, nor from chronic or traumatic stressors.