1. Unregistered

periods?

Hi, I was wondering if you have to do two spaces after a period when writing a cover letter? Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: periods?

I know that worldwide, different style manuals have different rules. In America, we use two spaces after a period and before a new sentence.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Umm, well... that's a matter of style. The AP style book now says to use only a single space, and many businesses now also use a single space. So you can use one or two, but just make sure you use the same number each time and don't go back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi, I was wondering if you have to do two spaces after a period when writing a cover letter? Thanks

This, Courier New, is a fixed-width font. Each letter takes up the same width on the page. In this case, using a double space can be appropriate, since it helps give a better look to the paragraph.

This, Arial, is a variable-width font. Each letter takes up a different width, depending on the constructing of the letter, with "i" being the narrowest, and "w" about the widest. In this case, it is normal to use a single space.

If I am writing a formal letter, I will use a word-processor, and set the paragraph style to "justified", meaning that there are straight margins on both the left and the right of each page. In this case, the word-processor will automatically slightly adjust the spacings between words without my needing to type in a double space. Microsoft Word, I believe, automatically gives a slightly wider spacing to the word after a full stop [period] even if you have only typed a single space. (It is not possible to demonstrate this effect in the word processor.)

Oh, and the character "." is called a "period" in the US, but a "full stop" in England.

Regards,

Mark

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Thanks for clearing that up, Mark. I learned to type on a Smith-Corona manual and I haven't changed my style much in the intervening forty-odd years. I'm always glad to learn something new.

Mike

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by mykwyner View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up, Mark. I learned to type on a Smith-Corona manual and I haven't changed my style much in the intervening forty-odd years. I'm always glad to learn something new.

Mike

It took me for-freaking-ever to learn not to space twice after hitting the period. Old habits die hard.