1. Unregistered

meaning of word "wash"

Hi,

My hobby is collecting old medals of WW2 and I would like to know the meaning of the word "wash" as it is used in some expressions that I often encounter like "bronze or silver wash". Does it mean it is a sort of varnish applied on the metal or something similar?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Sebastien

Re: meaning of word "wash"

I think that 'wash' in this context may refer to some kind of coating applied to the surface of a medal, for more detailed information regarding the chemical structure of the coating you should ask some experts, I do believe it is liquid in nature

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

My hobby is collecting old medals of WW2 and I would like to know the meaning of the word "wash" as it is used in some expressions that I often encounter like "bronze or silver wash". Does it mean it is a sort of varnish applied on the metal or something similar?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Sebastien
    Somewhere between a veneer and a varnish.

It's a think layer of something (in this case either bronze or silver) applied on top of something else.

Similar uses of the word "wash" occur in things like "lime-wash" (a historical wall covering technique) and "whitewash" (to apply a thin paint).

So a silver-wash coin would be something, probably brass or billon, with a thin layer of silver on top. Medals are the same.

Peppers - I think it would have been liquid when it was applied, (ie applied as a dip rather than a foil) but now dry.

Regards,

Mark

I believe the silver layer is thinner, and hence of less quality, than silver plate. I would guess that either wash or plate would have to be applied electrically in solution, if that's the right way to phrase it.