to dance or dancing?

Hi!!

I have a question, I know that some verbs have to be followed only by infinitives, others by gerunds and some others can be followed by both.

What about the verb "to go"

Is it ok to say I went to dance? because it doesn't sound to me like something a native speaker would say....

I think it would be better I went dancing, but I still have doubts about the the one with the infinitive

Is it correct?

Thanks in advance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Re: to dance or dancing?

Hello, "go dancing" is correct. You can use it with many activities, especially sports, e.g. go fishing, swimming, jogging etc.

"To go" could pair with the infinitive of dance in certain contexts. "I went to dance for Madame Alexyve last Monday. Unfortunately, I was not admitted into her class." But "I went dancing with my boyfriend" or "I love to go fishing in Scotland."

But "to go" accompanies the infinitive with many other verbs. "I went to buy salmon at the fish market. Then I went to hear a lecture by Dr. I.M. Dull. Tomorrow, I am going to cancel my subscription to the lecture series."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by rggg1971 View Post
    Hi!!

I have a question, I know that some verbs have to be followed only by infinitives, others by gerunds and some others can be followed by both.

Is it ok to say I went to dance? because it doesn't sound to me like something a native speaker would say....

I think it would be better I went dancing, but I still have doubts about the the one with the infinitive

Is it correct?

Thanks in advance
    You can also say: I went to a dance in the club last night. Why not? But ,of course it's better to say: I went dancing in my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by rggg1971 View Post
    Hi!!

Is it correct?

Thanks in advance
    Hi,
    I went to dance = I went in order to dance (not to do anything else)
    I went dancing= I danced (probably at a club)

If you are talking about what you did on the weekend, I went dancing is more likely what a native speaker would say. I went to dance would be used in different contexts.