is firstly correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameer1728

Member Type
Other
An english teacher once told me that while enumerating points ,you should never say"Firstly" .In good english "First " is more appropriate.
"secondly",Thirdly" are correct
Is it true?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
An english teacher once told me that while enumerating points ,you should never say"Firstly" .In good english "First " is more appropriate.
"secondly",Thirdly" are correct
Is it true?

I've met this 'rule', but I don't believe many current authorities enforce it; Swan, for example - 157.10 - allows both. My own view is that a list that mixes a cardinal with ordinals (First, Secondly, Thirdly...) looks rather ungainly - but I recognize that people who do it do it because they were told to at school many years ago. ;-)

b

sameer1728

Member Type
Other
I've met this 'rule', but I don't believe many current authorities enforce it; Swan, for example - 157.10 - allows both. My own view is that a list that mixes a cardinal with ordinals (First, Secondly, Thirdly...) looks rather ungainly - but I recognize that people who do it do it because they were told to at school many years ago. ;-)

b

got it but what's your advice being a teacher of English in England?
Should I continue following the rule?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
got it but what's your advice being a teacher of English in England?
Should I continue following the rule?

Well I don't; I think enforcing it is just adding another inconsistency to the already daunting morass of inconsistencies that face English language learners.

b

nyggus

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I was once said that instead of using 'firstly', 'secondly', 'thirdly',... one might simply use 'first', 'second', 'third',... Is it a good rule for any writing (for example, academic writing)?

Nyggus :cool:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Here's a UK source: Dictionary of English - first <i>or</i> firstly

Here's a USA source: firstly, first. The Columbia Guide to Standard American English. 1993

This is from Lynch's Guide to Grammar and Style:
'The jury is still out on whether to use first or firstly, second or secondly, &c. Traditional usage had first, secondly, thirdly, but this is too inconsistent for modern taste. Most guides prefer just plain old first, second, third, and so forth, without the -ly ending.'​

Here's one person's thoughts (from WORD COURT ARCHIVES)
'“First,” “second” and “third” at the beginnings of sentences are traditional too. People have been using these words in this way for about 600 years. “Firstly” has almost as long a history, but “first” has two advantages: It’s a syllable shorter, and it sounds less pompous than “firstly.” '​

Randomhouse.com's firstly vs first:
In my undergraduate days, I had an English professor redline that word out of a paper I wrote, along with the terms (equally offensive to him) firstly, secondly, and lastly. He wrote next to each deletion the comment, "no such word" in bold, red ink. I've spent the last 15 years or so...editing memos and business letters to remove this use of "-ly" as a means of introducing a series of examples or arguments....After all this effort, is there really nothing wrong with firstly, secondly, or lastly?
'Most usage authorities during the last half century, from Wilson Follett and Jacques Barzun (Modern American Usage, 1966) to The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage (1999), have pretty much agreed with your professor and recommended "No -ly," on the grounds that the extra syllable is...well...extra. A current, highly regarded usage book that remains neutral, acknowledging (with many citations) the historicity of both varieties, is Merriam Webster's Dictionary of English Usage.'

Read more here...

sameer1728

Member Type
Other
Hello Bobk,
YOu are right about inconsistancies but ironically we (people who use this language but is not our first language) love and respect it for it's "silly"rules/inconsistancies and wish to practice them.:-D
it's like a saying "converts are more pure"

bianca

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
IMO, firstly sounds awkward. '-ly' is totally redundant when there is 1st, 2nd and so on. We dress words up by adding 'ly' to them, as though putting a hat on a horse.:-D Anyway, if I were to choose to write firstly, I would be consistent with the ending 'ly' for the other adverbs as well (secondly...)

Last edited:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
bianca, good points; however, they have been covered already. (It's a good idea to read and digest the entire thread before posting. It saves our readers time and effort, as well as saves us the thread space. ;-))

Delmobile

Member Type
Other
Chiming in to this very entertaining thread, what with the pure converts and the hat-wearing horses:

To me the disadvantage is when you get to "thirdly." There's just something about it that sounds ridiculous. And then there's the problem of not being able to go on; there's no fourthly or fifthly. (Thank God.)

And although it ends in -ly it's not an adverb. "Okay, guys, we're going to practice what we've learned about CPR. Who wants to go firstly?"

[disclaimer: native speaker but not teacher]

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
So I will use first,secondly.....
OK, but please remember that both camps, A. and B., agree on one thing. Consistency. In other words, there are two choices, A. or B., not three:

A. First, second, third, ...
B. Firstly, secondly, thirdly,...

nyggus

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
OK, but please remember that both camps, A. and B., agree on one thing. Consistency. In other words, there are two choices, A. or B., not three:

A. First, second, third, ...
B. Firstly, secondly, thirdly,...

so I will use first,secondly,.......
So it seems you're picking the option that is incorrect... :roll:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So it seems you're picking the option that is incorrect... :roll:

Not incorrect - at least in BE; just rather old-fashioned (obeying a prescriptive rule that is no longer widely applied).

b

Status
Not open for further replies.