"Yawning maw" and "brew"

Hi, please tell me about the meaning of words in the following sentences.

We are in a state of siege, encircled twenty-four hours a day by lawyers, record companies, fans, and the yawning maw of the press. From this elevation, with its weird brew of light and claustrophobia, you see why the Beatles finally blew apart. We seem to be following the same route, with the saurian roar of the media filling our ears, drowning out our beautiful songs.

Q1: Does “maw” mean “mouth” in this case? (It sounds strange to me. When the press is besieging the band, could they be yawning?)

Q2: Does “brew” mean “mixture” in this case?

Re: "Yawning maw" and "brew"

Quote Originally Posted by pink dragon View Post
    Hi, please tell me about the meaning of words in the following sentences.

We are in a state of siege, encircled twenty-four hours a day by lawyers, record companies, fans, and the yawning maw of the press. From this elevation, with its weird brew of light and claustrophobia, you see why the Beatles finally blew apart. We seem to be following the same route, with the saurian roar of the media filling our ears, drowning out our beautiful songs.

Q1: Does “maw” mean “mouth” in this case? (It sounds strange to me. When the press is besieging the band, could they be yawning?) It is being used to describe metaphorically the greedy hunger of the press for news

Q2: Does “brew” mean “mixture” in this case?
    Yes.

Thank you, Anglika.

Then, does "yawning maw" mean "the mouth opening wide and greedily" and not "the mouth giving a yawn"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Wide and greedily. The press feeds greedily on trivia and consumes it (i.e. makes use of it) indiscriminately - I think that's what the piece is saying.

b

Thank you, BobK!

All of you have been very helpful!

Still with the Police, I see... :)

Exactly!