• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Smile Say in other words

Hi dear experts,
    Could you, please, say in other words the phrases in inverted commas. These are Car Alarm System Features. I have to translate these but I can't get the meaning:
    1. "Parking light flasher"
    2. "Trunk release output"
    3. "anti car jacking"

Re: Say in other words

I'll do my best, but I don't know anything about cars in your part of the world.

"Parking lights" are lights that are less powerful than "running lights." Their purpose has evolved over the years; they were there originally to make the car more visible when parked. "Flash" means to turn on and off rapidly, something you want your lights to do in an emergency (e.g., you have pulled to the side of a busy highway and are waiting for help). In the US we call the first "parking lights" and the second "emergency flashers" or just "flashers." (I suppose it could be the same bulbs serving different purposes; I don't know very much about cars :))

"Trunk release output." To release something means to let it go free; in this sense it means to open the trunk. Some cars have a handle inside the cab that allows the driver to open the trunk without getting out of the car. I have heard that it is now mandatory for cars to have a trunk release inside the trunk, to protect people, children, etc. locked inside. I don't understand why the word "output" is attached to this phrase. "Output" means something produced---maybe this means the force produced by the trunk release when it is pulled?

"Anti car jacking." A car jacking is a particular kind of crime---stealing the car while the owner is in it. In the US this carries much harsher penalties than stealing an unoccupied car. "Anti" means against. There are various systems designed to make the car inoperable in the event of this crime.

I hope this is helpful. I wish I knew more about cars!

[native speaker, not a teacher]

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Thank you very much! You were most helpful. I got it perfectly well. Now I can translate it into my native language since I now what it is about.

I'm so glad I was able to be of help :)