• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

document got cut out / off?

You've had one of those occasions. You tried printing a 1-page document but you had your paper settings wrong and some letters get cut off / out either to the side and you can't read it because words are missing, or at the end because the paper runs short and your printer cartridge spews its ink onto nothing.

Or when you photocopy a book some letters get cut off / out to the side because it's difficult to spread a book without damaging it.

Do you know what I'm talking about? which idiom is correct? cut off or cut out? and are there other ways to describe such situations?
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 22-Jun-2007 at 19:56.

Re: document got cut out / off?

I would go with "cut off." "Some letters get cut off on the side...or at the end."

"Cut out" is different: "I bought some blue linen, and if I have time tonight I will cut out the dress pattern." "My mother carefully cuts out all the coupons in the Sunday newspaper."

Cut out can also be used idiomatically: "You kids cut out [stop] all that noise!" "Let's see if we can cut out of [leave] work early today."

And yes, I know exactly what you mean about the printer. Very annoying!

[native speaker and writer, not a teacher]

Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade View Post
    You've had one of those occasions. You tried printing a 1-page document but you had your paper settings wrong and some letters get cut off / out either to the side and you can't read it because words are missing, or at the end because the paper runs short and your printer cartridge spews its ink onto nothing.

Or when you photocopy a book some letters get cut off / out to the side because it's difficult to spread a book without damaging it.

Do you know what I'm talking about? which idiom is correct? cut off or cut out? and are there other ways to describe such situations?

I would use "cut off" here; "cut out" in this context would likely mean someone used scissors to physically cut the words out of the paper. "Cut off" seems to generally carry the meaning of incomplete (like your pages and photocopies) in other contexts too:
    The bus cut me off= The bus pulled in front of my car and stopped me from moving forward
    Whenever I tried to say something, he cut me off= he interrupted my speech

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    I would go with "cut off." "Some letters get cut off on the side...or at the end."

"Cut out" is different: "I bought some blue linen, and if I have time tonight I will cut out the dress pattern." "My mother carefully cuts out all the coupons in the Sunday newspaper."

Cut out can also be used idiomatically: "You kids cut out [stop] all that noise!" "Let's see if we can cut out of [leave] work early today."

And yes, I know exactly what you mean about the printer. Very annoying!

[native speaker and writer, not a teacher]
    Sorry Delmobile! I guess we were replying at the same time