• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Question Use of 'such'

"The experiments were conducted in homogenous conditions so the results and conclusions are limited to such conditions."
    Is there any way to avoid the repetition of "conditions" in this sentence? Or maybe this repetition is not at all a problem?
    I remember I asked a similar question not too long ago, but I can't transfer the knowledge I learned then to this simple problem.

Nyggus

Re: Use of 'such'

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    "The experiments were conducted in homogenous conditions so the results and conclusions are limited to such conditions."
    Is there any way to avoid the repetition of "conditions" in this sentence? Or maybe this repetition is not at all a problem?
    I remember I asked a similar question not too long ago, but I can't transfer the knowledge I learned then to this simple problem.

Nyggus

The results and conclusions are that of experiments conducted in homogenous circuimstances.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    The results and conclusions are that of experiments conducted in homogenous circuimstances.
    Well, you did change the meaning of the sentence. I wish to keep a similar construction of the sentence and am asking whether the repetition is or is not a problem, and if it is, how to avoid it.
    And, by the way, it should be "those" instead of "that". And I don't think the word 'circumstances' carries the same meaning as 'conditions', at least in this sentence.

Nyggus
    Last edited by nyggus; 24-Jun-2007 at 13:12.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Beag View Post
    I wouldn't generally talk about "homogenous conditions", but not knowing the nature of the experiments, I can't suggest an alternative.

I can't immediately see why it's of concern, either. All scientific experimentation relies on set constants and controlled variables. The statement above doesn't convey any information, and scientific language must always convey information.
    OK. So change 'conditions' with 'soils'. What I wish to learn is whether this repetition is fine, and the meaning of the sentence is less important.

Nyggus

Well, you did change the meaning of the sentence. I wish to keep a similar construction of the sentence and am asking whether the repetition is or is not a problem, and if it is, how to avoid it.
    And, by the way, it should be "those" instead of "that". And I don't think the word 'circumstances' carries the same meaning as 'conditions', at least in this sentence.

Nyggus

that is definitely correct in my sentence
    Both may have plural referents
    circuimstance should be condition, of course, it was a typo.
    You are welcome.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    that is definitely correct in my sentence
    Frankly, I don't understand why that is correct in your sentence. For me it doesn't, and I would be pleased to learn our teachers' opinion. Let me recall the sentence:
    "The results and conclusions are that of experiments conducted in homogeneous conditions."

Nyggus

Frankly, I don't understand why that is correct in your sentence. For me it doesn't, and I would be pleased to learn our teachers' opinion. Let me recall the sentence:
    "The results and conclusions are that of experiments conducted in homogeneous conditions."

Nyggus
    that and those are both pronouns that may have plural noun referents.
    Check your private inbox

"Because the skeletal remains are that of a native person"
    Fort Bend Herald
    Last edited by svartnik; 24-Jun-2007 at 14:44.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Beag View Post
    Ah, I think I see where we're going.

I still can't remove the repetition completely (as I don't know what you are saying), but you can lessen the repetition by adding in an extra classifier noun.

If you talk about homogenous soil conditions and end with such conditions, you aren't repeating yourself exactly. This fits with the conventions I've come across in technical writing.

Niall,
    Trainee teacher, grammar grad & IT worker.
    Oh, I see the point. Clear now!
    Thanks, Niall!

Nyggus