Arrow About the orthography

In the name of the Merciful Allah,
    Hi, "HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED why ice melts and water evaporates?Why leaves turn colors in the fall and how a battery generates electricity?Why keeping foods cold slows their spoilage and how our bodies use food to maintain life? Chemistry supplies answers............"This was the first paragraph in some indroductory chemistry text.

First, I'm asking about the second and third " Why". It is obvious, because of the capitalized "w", that both of them begin a new sentence;so, why I can't see a dot just after the question mark that precede?. Another question about the first four words, why are their letters all capitalized?. One more question, I understand that the first question mark refers to a sentence begins with "have", but the others refere to a question sentences too, despite they have no auxiliary verb (do and does), how?. I'm grateful in advance.
    Last edited by the arrow of egypt; 25-Jun-2007 at 21:31.

Re: About the orthography

A question mark [?] is a punctuation mark in its own right. It does not need any other punctuation mark as well. A question mark always indicates a query [question sentences]. All punctuation marks are followed by one space.

The capital letters here have no meaning or importance. It is just what the designer of the book or article used to start the text.

Arrow Re: About the orthography

I understand now that question mark is enough to end a sentence, with no need to any dot. But I still wonder why the second and third queries have no auxiliary verbs( do, does), is that possible with questions that begin with "why"? Thanks, Anglika.

Cool Re: About the orthography

For the third time,is this possible to make a question sentence that begin with "why" without an auxiliary verb( do, does)? Could any body reply this?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

They are all continuations of "Have you ever wondered...?" They would not stand grammaticaly on their own as an isolated sentence, but they flow with the passage.

-- A writer, not a teacher

"Why are you going there?"
    "Why have you written that letter?"
    "Why has Gordon Brown become Prime Minister without an election?"
    "Why was he the first choice?"

The answer is yes, you can.

The examples in your original posting are what are called "rhetorical questions" and "do" is understood by the nature of the question.

So; Anglika, what Barb-D has already said is grammticaly wrong, right? As a matter of fact, I have tendency to the idea that all those queries are continuations of " Have you ever been.....?,despite I trust your knowledge. I'm still .

You are correct to believe that all the queries are continuations of "Have you ever wondered..."

Quote Originally Posted by the arrow of egypt View Post
    So; Anglika, what Barb-D has already said is grammticaly wrong, right? As a matter of fact, I have tendency to the idea that all those queries are continuations of " Have you ever been.....?,despite I trust your knowledge. I'm still .
    Barb and I posted at the same moment, so I had not seen her posting. What she has said is quite correct.

I've really respected you, Angilika , for the last reply. Any way, thanks every body. I'm now .