a definite personality

Hi Teacher:

I have difficulty in understanding the bracketed parts in the following two passages. Please give me a hand.
    Tks.

1. The dogmatic point of view preceeding from the conviction that the Holy Sprirt as [a definite personality] is the author of the Scriptures had to be dispensed with, since the dogmatic point of view [goes beyond its own requirements] when it rejects individual development.

2. Achieving understanding as a central objective of hermeneutics is dually coded insofar as it is always [an understanding of something for something].

Re: a definite personality

Hi
    By the way, in a context like this (ie, in the above question) can we use the expression "give me a hand"?

Would somebody care to comment please?

Cheers
    Udara
    Last edited by udara sankalpa; 29-Jun-2007 at 04:50. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by lingchen View Post
    Hi Teacher:

I have difficulty in understanding the bracketed parts in the following two passages. Please give me a hand.
    Tks.

1. The dogmatic point of view preceeding [proceeding] from the conviction that the Holy Sprirt as [a definite personality [the Holy Spirit regarded as an entity] is the author of the Scriptures had to be dispensed with, since the dogmatic point of view [goes beyond its own requirements] [the dogmatic view has a limitation which is innate] when it rejects individual development.

2. Achieving understanding as a central objective of hermeneutics is dually coded insofar as it is always [an understanding of something for something] [ the understanding has a purpose ].

Quote Originally Posted by udara sankalpa View Post
    Hi
    By the way, in a context like this (ie, in the above question) can we use the expression "give me a hand"?

Would somebody care to comment please?

Cheers
    Udara
    Indeed, why not? It is a common idiom when asking for help.

Hi Anglika ,
    Many thanks. I thought, to use that idiom, the help we need should be involved with some physical thing.

Cheers
    Udara