play into one another

Hi teacher:

I don't understand the underlined parts in the following two passages. Please help me. Tks.

1. Imagination as a go-between for the faculties of reason and the senses made them play into one another, and it was play that Schiller elevated into the be-all and end-all education.

2. Aesthetic consciousness poses as a transcendental vantage point that accords the work of art a dignity manifested by overstepping what it is not.

Re: play into one another

Quote Originally Posted by lingchen View Post
    Hi teacher:

I don't understand the underlined parts in the following two passages. Please help me. Tks.

1. Imagination as a go-between for the faculties of reason and the senses made them play into one another, and it was play that Schiller elevated into the be-all and end-all education. Is this perhaps missing "of" or "in" before "education"?
    The whole sentence is saying that imagination is vital to the nature and action of playing and that Schiller raised play to become the basis of all education.

2. Aesthetic consciousness poses as a transcendental vantage point that accords the work of art a dignity manifested by overstepping what it is not. This is not well expressed, but seems to suggest that aesthetic consciousness allows art more importance than it really warrants. I will be interested in other people's take on it!