responsive commitment

Hi Teacher,

I have difficulty understanding the underlined parts. Could you please give me a hand? Tks a lot.

1. Encountering the past entails being confronted with otherness, which gives hermeneutics an eminently modern touch, not least as understanding "the foreign and strange speech" requires a responsive commitment to what is beyond one's obrit.

2. The encounter with tradition is always subversive of totalization or containment. For Gadamer, this means the openness of tradition to the future, its irreducibility to the library or museum or to institutions of interpretation, in its refusal of closure or of finite constructions. Tradition in this respect is infinite in Levinas's ethical sense of Infinity to the Other that discloses itself in conversation.

Re: responsive commitment

Quote Originally Posted by lingchen View Post
    Hi Teacher,

I have difficulty understanding the underlined parts. Could you please give me a hand? Tks a lot.

1. Encountering the past entails being confronted with otherness, which gives hermeneutics an eminently modern touch, not least as understanding "the foreign and strange speech" requires a responsive commitment to what is beyond one's orbit. The person concerned must demonstrate a willingness to accept and absorb something that is not within their normal [field of study/action]

2. The encounter with tradition is always subversive of totalization or containment. For Gadamer, this means the openness of tradition to the future, its irreducibility to the library or museum or to institutions of interpretation, in its refusal of closure or of finite constructions. Tradition in this respect is infinite in Levinas's ethical sense of Infinity to the Other that discloses itself in conversation. [It would be useful to know what text you are studying! I have taken off the underlining as with this kind of writing, the whole text is essential] As a whole the passage seems to say that traditional ways cannot be restricted to academic study or institutions such as museums as they are constantly changing.