Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 7
    #1

    Smile pardon

    hi
    i want to know what is the exact difference between 'pardon' and 'come again' and is there any other phrase with similar meaning. if yes then which one should be used


    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 404
    #2

    Re: pardon

    What did you say? as in Come again? I can't believe you said that. This expression takes the literal meaning of the phrase--return--to ask someone to repeat a statement, either because it wasn't heard clearly or because its truth is being questioned.

    So, when something wasn't heard clearly:
    Pardon?
    Say what?
    How's that?
    Come again?
    Sorry?
    Eh?
    Ah?
    What?
    Oi?
    Again?

    And more.....

    Does that help?


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #3

    Re: pardon

    Quote Originally Posted by tarun View Post
    hi
    i want to know what is the exact difference between 'pardon' and 'come again' and is there any other phrase with similar meaning. if yes then which one should be used

    "Come again" is very colloquial, and you keep it to your friends, with the other suggestions from Jason.

    Politely> "I am sorry. I didn't catch what you said." "Pardon, I missed what you said." "Sorry, I missed that. Could you repeat it?"

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: pardon

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    "Come again" is very colloquial, and you keep it to your friends, with the other suggestions from Jason.

    Politely> "I am sorry. I didn't catch what you said." "Pardon, I missed what you said." "Sorry, I missed that. Could you repeat it?"
    I've also heard 'Say again' (sometimes with an accompanying gesture - cupping the ear). As with 'come again', it's colloquial.

    (I had a maths teacher who said Wiederholen Sie bitte?, but that's not normal English. )


    b

  3. bianca's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,044
    #5

    Re: pardon

    I beg your pardon? - courteous, more formal, maybe. Also, depending on how you pronounce it, it betrays a shade of irritability.

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #6

    Re: pardon

    Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    I beg your pardon? - courteous, more formal, maybe. Also, depending on how you pronounce it, it betrays a shade of irritability.
    Can betray.... This can be a tricky hindrance to communication. The speaker may simply be being formal/courteous, and the listener may assume they've given offence. It's often safer (though in some circles thought to betray social inferiority!) to say 'Beg pardon?'

    b


    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 404
    #7

    Re: pardon

    Had somebody said ''I beg your pardon?'' to me, it would sound in my ears like I have offended him for some reason, and never as a polite way to say to repeat what I've said earlier.

    The way I see it, it's basically ''I beg your pardon?!''.

  5. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #8

    Re: pardon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason72 View Post
    Had somebody said ''I beg your pardon?'' to me, it would sound in my ears like I have offended him for some reason, and never as a polite way to say to repeat what I've said earlier.

    The way I see it, it's basically ''I beg your pardon?!''.
    It's pretty much interpreted that way here, in Canada.


    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 404
    #9

    Re: pardon

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    It's pretty much interpreted that way here, in Canada.
    I think that's the case in Britain too, but let's hear what BobK has to say...

  6. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #10

    Re: pardon

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason72[/quote
    Pardon?
    Say what?
    How's that?
    Come again?
    Sorry?
    Eh?
    Ah?
    What?
    Oi?
    Again?

    And more.....
    One more: Huh?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Difference between sorry!/? and pardon me!/!
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Jan-2005, 20:35
  2. NEED ENG. EQUIV.: to execute impossible to pardon
    By antonparchine in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-Jul-2004, 15:01

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •