• English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: mother toungue influence

Quote Originally Posted by vijesh_krishna View Post
    how i can remove my mother tounge influence
    I have a suggestion, mainly to do with expressing yourself more like a native speaker does.

You have to train and force yourself to think about English like a native speaker does. Of course most of the time a native speaker doesn't think, (s)he just speaks, but what I mean is that you have to think first, then speak. This is easier to do when you are talking to yourself or writing English, but even when you are talking to someone else, slow down and think before you speak.

Ask yourself, 'How would a native speaker say this?' Of course what you don't want to do is put English words into another language's grammar. You don't want to translate word for word; you want to express yourself like a native speaker would, or as close to that as you are able to do. Like always, you can only expect slow progress, but you have to persist.

Now some people may say that this will slow you down and make you speak less English, but since your question is about removing your native language influence and not about just making yourself understandable, this is what I suggest.

When you read English, don't just read to understand, take note of the way words are used and ideas are expressed.

It is very common to see fairly high-level ESL leaners speak and write with more mistakes than necessary because they still are overly influenced by their native languages. They haven't forced themselves to break away from their native languages when communicating in English.

This is one suggestion; hopefully others will add their ideas.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

As an avid English learner, I too wished to break out of my native language influence and I think I am progressing remarkably since I started learning English (doing self study) about 2 years ago. I started mainly with dialogues since they sure are used by natives then take notes of expressions and vocabularies from books....

One thing I learned is that for you to speak English the native way you also should think in English the native way, not by thinking in our native language then translating your ideas to English and articulate them, this will never work. We need to think like them to be like them....

One more thing, surround yourself with English materials that will make you feel more comfortable with your new language.

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    I have a suggestion, mainly to do with expressing yourself more like a native speaker does.

You have to train and force yourself to think about English like a native speaker does. Of course most of the time a native speaker doesn't think, (s)he just speaks, but what I mean is that you have to think first, then speak. This is easier to do when you are talking to yourself or writing English, but even when you are talking to someone else, slow down and think before you speak.
    Ask yourself, 'How would a native speaker say this?' Of course what you don't want to do is put English words into another language's grammar. You don't want to translate word for word; you want to express yourself like a native speaker would, or as close to that as you are able to do. Like always, you can only expect slow progress, but you have to persist.
    1\I do think this is a good way to learn English both for words learning and feeling expressing, but the question is how I can realize what I thinking is as same as the native usage.
    2\Sometimes I want to express my feeling but always fail because of my poor English words usage. I came to realize the sentence is so simple till my friend told the exact answer, all the words I have learnt.
    Could you give me more ideas about this.
    Thanks!
    Now some people may say that this will slow you down and make you speak less English, but since your question is about removing your native language influence and not about just making yourself understandable, this is what I suggest.

When you read English, don't just read to understand, take note of the way words are used and ideas are expressed.

It is very common to see fairly high-level ESL leaners speak and write with more mistakes than necessary because they still are overly influenced by their native languages. They haven't forced themselves to break away from their native languages when communicating in English.

This is one suggestion; hopefully others will add their ideas.
    Regards!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

hi wuwei

Learning "to think" like a native speaker is a slow process that is only accomplished by immersing yourself in the English language as much as possible. Read English written by native speakers and speak English with native speakers as often as possible. (I realize the latter suggestion is very difficult to act on, as millions of Chinese EFL students are looking for native speakers to chat with.) Read English as much as you can.
    A site like this can help you a lot. Ask a lot of questions.

I don't understand your second comment. Do you mean that you actually know the words that you want to use but you don't know how to use them?

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    hi wuwei

Learning "to think" like a native speaker is a slow process that is only accomplished by immersing yourself in the English language as much as possible. Read English written by native speakers and speak English with native speakers as often as possible. (I realize the latter suggestion is very difficult to act on, as millions of Chinese EFL students are looking for native speakers to chat with.) Read English as much as you can.
    A site like this can help you a lot. Ask a lot of questions.

I don't understand your second comment. Do you mean that you actually know the words that you want to use but you don't know how to use them?
    So appreciate for your comments, 2006,
    Actually I mean I know the words, I can not speak or write with it fluently in my life. in an other word, I can not realize that I should speak or write with it.
    Thanks and regards!
    Wuwei

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

I agree with 2006, Learning English is a slow process.

When I first studied English I started with the simplest expressions possible like : I am eating, I went to school today. Those are just simple expressions, but as you build on them you can add new and more difficult words. I tried the dialogs too as I mentioned earlier, they can be boring to study but if you persist they can be rewarding.... Take a step at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    I agree with 2006, Learning English is a slow process.

When I first studied English I started with the simplest expressions possible like : I am eating, I went to school today. Those are just simple expressions, but as you build on them you can add new and more difficult words. I tried the dialogs too as I mentioned earlier, they can be boring to study but if you persist they can be rewarding.... Take a step at a time.
    Thanks, both two,
    I really think it is a slow process, because I always listen to the English news reports on CRI (China radio international), after two year's persist, I find my listen skill have made a big progress.
    Maybe I should write down something everyday here, and speak to myself every morning.
    Thanks again!
    Wuwei

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Right! Writing and speaking to oneself serves very useful as well as you tend to learn new expressions yourself. You can jot down new vocabularies you may read about and use them in our own sentences. This site can be very uselful to find affirmation whether your sentences are fine or not. I do that!!
    Last edited by blouen; 06-Jul-2007 at 00:22. Reason: additional

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast