Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. rahhal
    Guest
    #1

    Cool indierct question

    why are girles smarter than boys? (direct)
    ..................................? (indirect)


    • Join Date: Dec 2005
    • Posts: 8
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: indierct question

    Why do you think girls are smarter than boys?
    It is often stated that.......................
    Why is it that ..................................

  2. bianca's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,044
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: indierct question

    Quote Originally Posted by rahhal View Post
    why are girles smarter than boys? (direct)
    ..................................? (indirect)
    (What did he say/ask?)
    He asked why girls are smarter than boys. - indirect (reported) speech

    I use the present tense 'are' since I believe you are stating a general truth about girls being smarter than boys.
    Last edited by bianca; 02-Jul-2007 at 14:09.

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,958
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Wink Re: indierct question

    Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    (What did he say/ask?)
    He asked why girls are smarter than boys. - indirect (reported) speech

    I use the present tense 'are' since I believe you are stating a general truth about girls being smarter than boys.
    In my opinion, it is absolutely all right to follow the rules of indirect speech and put the verb 'are' into 'were' - there's no change in meaning at all, and it still expresses the same idea.
    ___________________________
    NOTE:
    Bear in mind I'm not a teacher!

  4. bianca's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,044
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: indierct question

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    In my opinion, it is absolutely all right to follow the rules of indirect speech and put the verb 'are' into 'were' - there's no change in meaning at all, and it still expresses the same idea.
    ___________________________
    NOTE:
    Bear in mind I'm not a teacher!

    ...and one of the rules of indirect speech is that, when stating a general truth (i.e. smth that holds true even in the present/ at the moment of reprting the speech) you use the present tense.

  5. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,958
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Cool Re: indierct question

    Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    ...and one of the rules of indirect speech is that, when stating a general truth (i.e. smth that holds true even in the present/ at the moment of reprting the speech) you use the present tense.
    Yes, I do know that. But as I stated above, changing the verb keeps the same sense, conveyed in the initial sentence.

    He asks why girls are smarter than boys.
    He asked why girls were smarter than boys.

  6. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: indierct question

    He?

    Ex: The person asked why girls are/were smarter than boys.

  7. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: indierct question

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCollins View Post
    Why do you think girls are smarter than boys?
    It is often stated that.......................
    Why is it that ..................................
    Welcome, MikeCollins.

    Your contributions are most welcome, and if you are not a teacher you will need to state that clearly in your posts.

    All the best

  8. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,958
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Thumbs up Re: indierct question

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    He?
    I was influenced by bianca's example sentence. Let it be person then.

Similar Threads

  1. Question Structure
    By minamax in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-Feb-2007, 09:46
  2. Question about answer, reply,take care ...
    By JJD in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2006, 04:24
  3. Types of question
    By Jupiter in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2006, 12:33
  4. Answering a question with a question
    By Sarah Shaw-Gray in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28-Jan-2006, 14:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •