Unhappy community college job search

After bouncing around from school to school (they are private and dedicated to ripping off teachers) I finally have 1 1/2 years experience at a private school in the San Gabriel Valley.
    The trouble is, I keep getting rejection letters every time I apply for a full-time job at a community college.
    I have an MA in TESOL, an adult ed. credential in ESL AND Social Science, a BA in English and I did my thesis on computer software and improving English pronunciation. You would think I would be a FO-SHIZZLE slam dunk candidate and get some interviews. Nothing, nada, zip. Not even an interview (well I did get a phone interview for Yuma AZ, but my interest wasn't that high to teach there).

Maybe some of you can shed some light. Do comm. college administrators seriously consider someone who teaches at a private school like Language Systems or AOI? I think LSI is a joke school that allows students to enroll while they work at part-time jobs. Maybe I've answered my own question.

2. Newbie
    Retired Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: community college job search

Quote Originally Posted by hinomura View Post
    After bouncing around from school to school (they are private and dedicated to ripping off teachers) I finally have 1 1/2 years experience at a private school in the San Gabriel Valley.
    The trouble is, I keep getting rejection letters every time I apply for a full-time job at a community college.
    I have an MA in TESOL, an adult ed. credential in ESL AND Social Science, a BA in English and I did my thesis on computer software and improving English pronunciation. You would think I would be a FO-SHIZZLE slam dunk candidate and get some interviews. Nothing, nada, zip. Not even an interview (well I did get a phone interview for Yuma AZ, but my interest wasn't that high to teach there).

Maybe some of you can shed some light. Do comm. college administrators seriously consider someone who teaches at a private school like Language Systems or AOI? I think LSI is a joke school that allows students to enroll while they work at part-time jobs. Maybe I've answered my own question.
    Having taught at a SUNY two-year college all of my professional life, I'm familiar with the community colleges. Your credentials sound fine. Your experience is what it is, your experience. The "bouncing around from school to school" might put you at the bottom of my list of applicants.

Ikia

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I haven't worked in the US, but I have worked in colleges and universities in the UK. It can sometimes be down to chance or who you know- I got a university EAP job because someone dropped out and a friend recommended me, so I by-passed normal application procedures. In my first job in a college, I started the part-time with a few hours and went full-time.

3. Newbie
    Retired Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

You were lucky to go full time! In the US, hiring part-time faculty is common. We get fully competent faculty and don't have to offer any benefits. Big busine$$, I guess.

Also, where has all the loyalty gone? Employers hire and fire at will, and employees hop from job to better job. My son tells me, "Dad, it's a whole new work world out there, not like it was in YOUR DAY." Kids have a way of making you feel older than you are.

Ikia

Geez, I guess I better teach at a college in the Middle East and earn what you guys make tax-free. Save the money, buy a house, and travel the world. It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.
    And on top of that, I don't have to teach immigrants with that irritating sense of entitlement. (see Fabian Nunez, A. Villaraigosa, et al.)

5. Newbie
    Retired Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by hinomura View Post
    Geez, I guess I better teach at a college in the Middle East and earn what you guys make tax-free. Save the money, buy a house, and travel the world. It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.
    And on top of that, I don't have to teach immigrants with that irritating sense of entitlement. (see Fabian Nunez, A. Villaraigosa, et al.)
    Sorry, community college teaching was only the first paragraph. I made a topic jump in my second paragraph. I wasn't referring to teaching in that paragraph but rather business employment in general. Teaching is still a safe occupation once you've been hired, with tenure, medical, retirement.

I think I found the answer to my own question. the answer is to publish in journals like TESOL CATESOL NCATE or others like that. then you have to network at teaching conventions (which means travel and expenses). then you have to stay current in your teaching which means trying new things like using Powerpoint, or multimedia in your teaching. Then you have to update your resume and include all the tests you've taken like PRAXIS or SSAT or CBEST and your publications and awards (no matter how minor or insignificant they seem) if you've been underemployed for a long time, your achievements can seem mighty insignificant.

Whew! my dad said it best, "never give up."