Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Synthesis

  1. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,277
    #1

    Synthesis

    I like to play basketball. I like to play soccer more.

    I prefer playing soccer to (playing) basketball.

    Is 'playing' optional or unnecessary?

    Many thanks.

  2. engee30's Avatar
    Key Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #2

    Wink Re: Synthesis

    Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    I like to play basketball. I like to play soccer more.

    I prefer playing soccer to (playing) basketball.

    Is 'playing' optional or unnecessary?

    Many thanks.
    It is optional since ellipsis allows us to do so - it's clear that we are talking about playing a sport.

  3. BobK's Avatar
    Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,037
    #3

    Re: Synthesis

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    It is optional since ellipsis allows us to do so - it's clear that we are talking about playing a sport.
    And if you elide both verbs, the meaning becomes dependent on the context.

    For example, 'I prefer football to basketball' could be the answer to either of these questions:

    'Do you prefer playing football or basketball?'

    or

    'Do you prefer watching football or basketball?'

    And if the question was 'Do you prefer football or basketball?' then you could specify a verb for each one.

    b

  4. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,277
    #4

    Re: Synthesis

    Hi BobK

    I'm a bit confused.

    I like to play basketball. I like to play soccer more.

    1. I prefer playing soccer to basketball.

    2. I prefer playing soccer to playing basketball.

    In joining the sentences in bold, which is the correct option or is either sentence fine?

    Many thanks.

  5. BobK's Avatar
    Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,037
    #5

    Re: Synthesis

    Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    Hi BobK

    I'm a bit confused.

    I like to play basketball. I like to play soccer more.

    1. I prefer playing soccer to basketball.

    2. I prefer playing soccer to playing basketball.

    In joining the sentences in bold, which is the correct option or is either sentence fine?

    Many thanks.
    Either, as engee30 said.... Apologies if I confused you

    b

  6. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

    • Join Date: Dec 2006
    • Posts: 1,277
    #6

    Re: Synthesis

    Hi BobK

    It's okay - a small matter.

    Thanks for the clarification.

    Best wishes.

Similar Threads

  1. Synthesis - using 'unless'
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Aug-2004, 10:25

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •