• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Question Its name comes from

"The procedure's name comes from the methods that use this procedure, that is, [...]"

Is it a correct sentence? Can a name come from something?

Thanks,
    Nyggus

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Its name comes from

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    "The procedure's name comes from the methods that use this procedure, that is, [...]"

Is it a correct sentence? Can a name come from something?

Thanks,
    Nyggus
    Some people might feel that it's rather imprecise, but there are various degrees of relatedness and 'consequentiality' between words - they can be loan-words, calques, cognates, translations, transliterations, inflexions, metatheses...; they can be derived from other words or just related to them. A common way of referring to general relatedness between one word and another is the phrase 'comes from'.

I suspect, judging from the use of the O-O buzz-words 'procedure' and 'method', that the sentence refers to Object-Oriented programming. If so, I'd say 'The procedure name is formed from the names of its methods' [if you mean the methods implemented in that procedure], or 'The procedure name is formed from the names of the methods that use it'. Maybe 'is formed from' is too precise... What about 'The procedure name reflects...'?

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: Its name comes from

Thanks, BobK. Actually, my problem has nothing to do with object-oriented programming, but despite this your reply has been really helpful!

Nyggus