• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

suburban years

Hi, everyone.
    I don't understand the following bold expressions. Could anyone explain them in easy English?

1. After a contractual increase and a promotion to router (sorter), I made $2.05 an hour.

Does this mean my wage has been raised by a contract?

2. The book shows how the delivery business became "Big Brown" as it burgeoned across our continent through World War two, the postwar suburban years, and the civil rights unrest.

3. As I put the finishing touches on this book, Jim Casey's dream of excellence and unstoppable determination enriches the spirit that now serves nearly 8 million people daily. UPS still upholds Casey's decades-old corporate values to the tune of hugh profits, $3.87 billion last year.

In the above, especially the expression "to the tune of" is confusing. What is the sentence saying?

Thank you.

Re: suburban years

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post
    Hi, everyone.
    I don't understand the following bold expressions. Could anyone explain them in easy English?

1. After a contractual increase and a promotion to router (sorter), I made $2.05 an hour.

Does this mean my wage has been raised by a contract? The contract of employment states what pay rises are due to the employee.

2. The book shows how the delivery business became "Big Brown" as it burgeoned across our continent through World War two, the postwar suburban years, and the civil rights unrest. "suburban years" is a description of the way in which society changed in the 1940s and 1950s, with more people able to buy their own homes, so the suburbs became a major economic force.

3. As I put the finishing touches on this book, Jim Casey's dream of excellence and unstoppable determination enriches the spirit that now serves nearly 8 million people daily. UPS still upholds Casey's decades-old corporate values to the tune of huge profits, $3.87 billion last year.
    UPS is making enormous profits while continuing to base its operations on the principles laid down by Jim Carey.
    In the above, especially the expression "to the tune of" is confusing. What is the sentence saying?

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: suburban years

OK. I've got the picture.

Many thanks.