Anonymous Guest

english as a global language

hiya,
    i've got an essay question which asks me how and why english has become a global language, i have already referred Hawaiian creole english and african american english languages and i am now struggling with it, could you give me some pointers?

cheers,
    simon.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    English became a global language through the expansion of the British Empire and then through the US dominance of the world economy. Your references seem a little wide of the mark.

Susie Smith Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    English became a global language through the expansion of the British Empire and then through the US dominance of the world economy. Your references seem a little wide of the mark.
    You might also mention the advent of computers and Internet.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Definitely- they are major factors now. I am not sure what Hawaian Creaole has to do with the matter, though.

Susie Smith Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Definitely- they are major factors now. I am not sure what Hawaian Creaole has to do with the matter, though.
    I'm sure I don't know what it has do with it either.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    There seems to be a lack of analytical awareness here- the assumption that they are supposed to show their PC credentials here, but having done that have no light to shed on the question. English spread as a world language through the barrel of a gun. AAVE is the result of the opposite movement of people- the enforced movement within an English-speaking environment- the spread has no connection. There are 600 million Chinese studying English- more than twice the population of the US. They are doing this to get on the internet, etc, and creoles are irrelevant in this arena.