• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

option days

The following expressions in bold are giving me trouble. Could you explain them in easy English?

The largest UPS multiemployer plan, Central States Pension Fund, is in serious default and long-time UPS drivers are howling as they watch their retirement benefits being eroded. Speculation regarding the next UPS-Teamster contract started as early as spring 2006 and drivers have been venting on an unofficial UPS Website. One driver wrote, "I would probably give up one of my six weeks or option days if my pension problem with Central States could be fixed. Another responded, "They must be screwed over by Central States like I am." Another added, "Give me a lump sum payoff from CS that I can roll into my 401(k).

In the above, what does "give up one of my six weeks" mean? "six weeks what"? And what are "option days?" What does the "They" refer to? What does "screwed" mean in the context? I'm not sure of "roll into."

Thank you.

Re: option days

Presumably they have six weeks of leave in the year as part of their contract, and this man is prepared to lose one of these to retain his pension rights. "Option days" must be linked to leave in some way. Again, something within the employment contract.

"They must be screwed over..." = a slang term for time-wasting in this context.

"my 401" = A 401(k) plan is a retirement savings plan that is funded by employee contributions and (often) matching contributions from the employer. So this man is saying let him have a lump sum so that he can take retirement immediately.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thank you for the answer.

Still, I'm not quite sure of "They must be screwed over by Central States like I am."
    Who or What is time-wasting? Would you paraphrase the whole sentence itself? Is it saying "we can't expect the pension problem with CS to be solved. We are just wasting time.?"

Central States is wasting time over resolving the pensions problem, and this is affecting UPS as much as the men.

Another responded, "They must be screwed over by Central States like I am.">>> "They" seems to refer to UPS

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

I see.

Thank you again.