Thread: replicate

replicate

Hi,

could you please tell me what "replicate" means? I have the following sentence:

All replicate tests should be made with approximately 2 kg of material in a closed laboratory silo. Compaction in the silos should be constant across replicates.

Does "replicate" mean:
    1) a repeated test OR
    2) a test during which something is simulated? Here, for example, a silo could be simulated in a laboratory.

Thank you very much.

Hanka

Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: replicate

The most common use of replicate is as a verb (similar to duplicate, but with the idea of repetition of a process); example - "I want you to replicate what you have seen, as exactly as possible." The last syllable has the diphthong /eı/.

Much less common is the noun replicate (similar to - but much less common than - the noun duplicate/. As in duplicate, the last syllable is a central e - /ə/.

In the phrase 'replicate test', replicate is used as an adjective. It's a test that involves replication (the process of producing a replicate). So your 2 is right (although there is no silo in the lab - some kind of vessel in the lab (maybe a test-tube, maybe a retort, maybe a flask [and if I'd continued chemistry after the age of 16 I'd probably be able to suggest more appropriate examples ] contains material that simulates the sort of compaction that occurs in the silos. Also, if the replication is successful, a replicate [noun] can be produced in a repeated test (your 1).

b
    Last edited by BobK; 18-Jul-2007 at 18:09. Reason: Add info about silo/lab

Thanks a lot! So "replicate" as an adjective cannot mean "repeated"? Because thatīs what my dictionary says. And if it can, how do you know that it is not the case in my sentence?

Harmless drudge
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
    Thanks a lot! So "replicate" as an adjective cannot mean "repeated"? Because thatīs what my dictionary says. And if it can, how do you know that it is not the case in my sentence?
    I think the dictionary's right, but its definition is incomplete. A replicate (adj.) test does involve repetition, but it involves a particular sort of repetition - a deliberate attempt to do exactly the same thing as was done in a previous test: "OK, you've done a test and got some persuasive results; but before you publish you must do a replicate test, to make absolutely sure of your figures."

b
    Last edited by BobK; 19-Jul-2007 at 18:52. Reason: Example added