• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

kept ending up in

Could anyone help me with the following?

1. At first it was called the "Washington Hub," but because interoffice mail kept ending up in Washington state, they changed it to the "Soto Hub," named after a nearby cross street.

Does the expression in bold mean "kept coming into?" If so, I can't find any logical connection in the sentence.

2. Each Fur Call required a large box the size of a suitcase made of heavy steamer-trunk material secured by buckles. Drivers were trained in handling "m'lady's fur." We carefully folded the garment fur inside in, attached the stub to the buttonhole (never the button), and wrapped the item in the tissue paper supplied in each box, provided a receipt, tipped our hat.....

I'm not sure of what "stub" means there.

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Re: kept ending up in

Quote Originally Posted by unpakwon View Post

1. At first it was called the "Washington Hub," but because interoffice mail kept ending up in Washington state, they changed it to the "Soto Hub," named after a nearby cross street.

Does the expression in bold mean "kept coming into?" If so, I can't find any logical connection in the sentence.

2. Each Fur Call required a large box the size of a suitcase made of heavy steamer-trunk material secured by buckles. Drivers were trained in handling "m'lady's fur." We carefully folded the garment fur inside in, attached the stub to the buttonhole (never the button), and wrapped the item in the tissue paper supplied in each box, provided a receipt, tipped our hat.....

I'm not sure of what "stub" means there.

Thank you.
    1. kept ending up in --finally called or named "Washington state"

2. stub -- a short remaining piece [of garment fur] , or,
    the part of a check or receipt retained as a record

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Thank you for the help.

Still, I can't understand your explanation on "kept ending up in." Are you saying "interoffice mail was finally called or named Washington state?" It sounds strange.
    Could you paraphrase the sentence--"because interoffice mail kept ending up in Washington state"-- itself?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

Thank you for the help.

Still, I can't understand your explanation on "kept ending up in." Are you saying "interoffice mail was finally called or named Washington state?" It sounds strange.
    Could you paraphrase the sentence--"because interoffice mail kept ending up in Washington state"-- itself?
    Sorry. I was confused. I think you are right when you say : "interoffice mail kept coming to Washington state [and this was its final destination, in my opinion]

Does the expression in bold mean "kept coming into?" If so, I can't find any logical connection in the sentence. It was being delivered to the wrong place -

I'm not sure of what "stub" means there. There will be a printed ticket which is perforated across, and is torn in two. One part is given to the owner, the other (the stub) is attached to the coat. They will both have a number or code printed on them which is identical.
    Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

That settles it.

Thank you again.