Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Sep 2006
    • Posts: 262
    #1

    acne, put on an expression

    Hi again,

    1] How can express a situation when for example a pimple appears on my face...?

    "Acne develops on my face..." Is this right???


    2] Is This one correct?: "You put on an expression like I was wrong!"
    I always try to avoid "like" in sentences but this is the one junction i can think of... Help me...

    thank you guys


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 71
    #2

    Re: acne, put on an expression

    Quote Originally Posted by jirikoo View Post
    "You put on an expression like I was wrong!"
    I always try to avoid "like" in sentences but this is the one junction i can think of... Help me...
    NB - not a native speaker!

    I believe '..as if I were wrong' would be correct.

    Though, I think 'like I'm always wrong' is OK in spoken English

    I am not sure if you 'put on an expression' (you mean 'facial expression', right?)
    I think you may say that you 'wear an expression' as for 'put on' ... hm..

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,833
    #3

    Re: acne, put on an expression

    Quote Originally Posted by jirikoo View Post
    Hi again,

    1] How can express a situation when for example a pimple appears on my face...?

    "Acne develops on my face..." Is this right???
    Acne is different; it is more serious than just having a pimple, but when much of the face is covered with them. Just say 'I've got a pimple/spot'

    Quote Originally Posted by jirikoo View Post
    2] Is This one correct?: "You put on an expression like I was wrong!"
    I always try to avoid "like" in sentences but this is the one junction i can think of... Help me...
    Some would use 'as if' there. However, do use 'like' when it is correct to do so.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 71
    #4

    Re: acne, put on an expression

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Just say 'I've got a pimple/spot'
    I think, jirikoo may want to say that the pimple is just starting, and it is not yet fully 'developed'.

    'I'm going to have a pimple/a spot/a boil' - how does it sound to you, native speakers?

  1. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #5

    Re: acne, put on an expression

    Quote Originally Posted by jirikoo View Post
    Hi again,

    1] How can express a situation when for example a pimple appears on my face...?

    "Acne develops on my face..." Is this right???
    North American teenagers would say, "I got a zit."

    zit - Definitions from Dictionary.com

Similar Threads

  1. Expression
    By LDM in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Feb-2007, 22:10
  2. Help with an uncommon expression
    By virginia gay in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-Jan-2007, 23:36
  3. general expression
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-Dec-2006, 11:22
  4. Meaning of idiomatic expression?
    By pilgrim in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-Aug-2004, 18:53

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •