• Post Thanks / Like

must and have to

In statements about obligation with must the obligation most often comes from the speaker (and in questions, from the hearer).Will you please give me an example for the red part.
    And in this sentence you must try to get to work on time. (I want you to.) Do we use must because the person is listener?

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: must and have to

Quote Originally Posted by daisy1352 View Post
    In statements about obligation with must the obligation most often comes from the speaker (and in questions, from the hearer).Will you please give me an example for the red part.
    And in this sentence you must try to get to work on time. (I want you to.) Do we use must because the person is listener?
    I may be a tad slow, bit is it not so that any vocal expression comes from the speaker, be it a question, assertion, etc, and the hearer is the receptor?
    The hearer is the one who picks up the sound coming from the speaker unless (s)he speaks to themselves.

You must try to get to work on time -- it is morally binding to get to work on time according to the speaker.

• Post Thanks / Like

Have a look at this page first, Obligation: must, have to, should.

• Post Thanks / Like

Here's another great source of information: Obligation: have to, have got to, must