Which or Who's?

I have managed to get into a discussion about the way a question in a poll was asked on a forum (amazing how trivial things can become such big debates)

The question that was asked was:

Which manager will be the first to insult his opponents?

and the choice of answers were

Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United.

Would the use of the word "Which" be appropriate here or should it be "who's" instead as rather than the managers name being mentioned as an option in the poll its the club instead.

My view is that "which" would only be appropriate if worded differently, more along the lines of "The Manager of which club........"

Can anyone explain to me if the original question is gramatically correct given the choice of answers and a brief explanation?

Many Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Which or Who's?

I think you mean "which" or 'whose'.

I agree that 'The manager of which club.......?' would fit the offered answers.
    Otherwise, '(Which)(Whose) manager will be the first......?' should have 'Arsenal's' along with the other three possessive forms offered as choices.
    Last edited by 2006; 22-Jul-2007 at 07:25.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Which or Who's?

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    I think you mean "which" or 'whose'.

I agree that 'The manager of which club.......?' would fit the offered answers.
    Otherwise, '(Which)(Whose) manager will be the first......?' should have 'Arsenal's' along with the other three possessive forms offered as choices.
    Note the spelling, NoOpinion. "Who's" means "who is" or "who has" (auxiliary has; "Who's got a pencil" but "Who's a pencil?" )

b