Page 8 of 10 First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Last
  1. eric2004
    Question here, please help me to get it.

"Do you have any moves?" means " Do you change a little?? or "Do you have any plans next?"
    Kinda confused here. This is from a dating situation when Rachel asked Joey.

2. eric2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eric2004
    Question here, please help me to get it.

"Do you have any moves?" means " Do you change a little?? or "Do you have any plans next?"
    Kinda confused here. This is from a dating situation when Rachel asked Joey.
    Afterwads,Joey pretended to say some moving words to Rachel, and then Rachel felt very touched and say " This is fantastic. I almost leaned in."

What means "leaned in"? Is it equal to " feel it's real but fake?"

When on a date, a 'move' is a tactic that you use in order to be successful with a woman or man.

In the scene you mention, Joey & Rachel were comparing the things each of them do when on dates, in order to 'catch' the date for the evening. ;)

So in this scene, 'Do you have any moves?' basically means 'What things do you do on a date in order to get the woman or man to like you?'

Rachel's 'move' was to get the man to reveal something sad about his past (in Joey's case, talk about his father), and then she would grab his hand and stroke it, thus 'making her move'. ;)

Cas, I really enjoy reading your post. It has not only broadened my limited horizons but also served as a good material for me to learn English. :wink:

It was kind of amazing to hear that the Japanese you know has the thinking of 'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence'. I mean, Japan has long been industrialized and in my opinion, duo to their national characteristics, they are usually too proud to admit that non-Japanese have a better way of life.

Like Eric, I really admire the language in your post. You know, as an ESL learner, I have read a lot of stuff, including encyclopedia, news coverage, novels. But there has always been a gap between what I learn and what I can put into practice. Maybe it is partly because all the stuff I mentioned is not written in the first person. Although I do read some first person material, I have never seen some of the language in your post, i.e. "with the exception of now", "The children's take on how...", which I find very useful yet very unlikely to be heard from an ESL learner, even an advanced one.
    :wink:

3. eric2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shane
    When on a date, a 'move' is a tactic that you use in order to be successful with a woman or man.

In the scene you mention, Joey & Rachel were comparing the things each of them do when on dates, in order to 'catch' the date for the evening. ;)

So in this scene, 'Do you have any moves?' basically means 'What things do you do on a date in order to get the woman or man to like you?'

Rachel's 'move' was to get the man to reveal something sad about his past (in Joey's case, talk about his father), and then she would grab his hand and stroke it, thus 'making her move'. ;)
    You're a God, how can you remeber all of scenes of Friends in you mind and reply my questions so easily? How many times did you watch it yet?
    This is my second time, but sometimes it's still confusing for me to understand what's so funny.

New question here, " beat me over my head with it." and " throw me a bone."
    Does the first one mean "something makes me shocked and heart-broken? The second one means that "do me a favor?"

Buddy cooler, :wink: what's going on with you yet? I didn't see you in Yim. Is it the finales time now? Good luck.

Buddy cooler, :wink: what's going on with you yet? I didn't see you in Yim. Is it the finales time now? Good luck.
    Thanks, pal. finale time? You mean the period of time at the end of a semester? I'd say this finale time is quite easy for me and it does not affect the time I spend online. The fact is, I did not see you on Yim. :wink:

Eric, what have been up to you resently? Studying Friends while drinking Coca-Cola? Is it kind of amazing for a Chinese to drink Coca-Cola which is an external thing? :wink:

Thank you for your kind words, Cooler. :)

All the best,

5. eric2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooler
    Thanks, pal. finale time? You mean the period of time at the end of a semester? I'd say this finale time is quite easy for me and it does not affect the time I spend online. The fact is, I did not see you on Yim. :wink:

Eric, what have been up to you resently? Studying Friends while drinking Coca-Cola? Is it kind of amazing for a Chinese to drink Coca-Cola which is an external thing? :wink:

I'm....just so so. Waiting for the pass of Visa or not, hanging out with my friends, and working out. :wink:

6. eric2004
    Question, "You got me my first set of head shots".

What's "head shorts"?

Another one." Don't get back on this case." What does it mean?

Question, "You got me my first set of head shots".

What's "head shorts"?
    A 'head shot' is a photo of yourself from the neck up. It is what an actor uses along with his/her CV (resume) in order to get an acting job.

Here's Chandler's headshot:

;)

Page 8 of 10 First ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Last