Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Veron1's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 882
    #1

    Red face Partitives!!!!!!!!!

    Could you please give me a list of partitives
    Thank you

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #2

    Re: Partitives!!!!!!!!!

    I haven't come across the term in a description of English grammar (which is not to say that it can't be applied, just that it needn't be; and I'm a relatively inexperienced English teacher, so some teachers may indeed use the word). Have a look here: Partitive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Partitive case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    b
    Last edited by BobK; 22-Jul-2007 at 18:09. Reason: Added link

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,845
    #3

    Re: Partitives!!!!!!!!!

    I've read the term but haven't heard it used much.

  3. Veron1's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 882
    #4

    Smile Re: Partitives!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I've read the term but haven't heard it used much.
    A cup of tea
    A cube of ice
    A bare of chocolate
    A packet of biscuits
    A loaf of bread
    those in red are partitives.
    I need more ,please Tdol
    I hope you got my point .
    Thanks

  4. Mad-ox's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,471
    #5

    Re: Partitives!!!!!!!!!

    hi,

    Partitives: they are those nouns which may refer to:

    1. specific items or amounts:
    a bar of chocolate/soap/metal
    blade of grass
    a block of marble/ice/wood
    a box of matches
    a book of stamps
    a breath of air
    a bar/cake of soup
    a cloud of dust
    a crust of bread
    a cube of ice
    a dash of soda
    a drop of oil
    a flash of light
    a grain of corn
    a jar of jam
    a jet of water
    a loaf of bread
    a lump of coal/sugar
    a pat of butter
    a clap of thunder
    a piece of wood/furniture/paper/glass/chalk/information/wisdom
    a pile of earth
    a pinch of salt
    a portion of food
    a puff of smoke
    a role of paper
    a sip of tea
    a speck of dust
    a slice of bread/cake
    a sheet of paper
    a stick of chalk
    a strand of hair/wool

    2 containers
    a barrel of beer
    a basket of fruit
    a bottle of milk
    a packet of cigarettes
    a glass of water
    a jug of water
    a mug of cocoa
    a tin of soup
    a tupe of paste
    a vase of flowers

    3 games
    a game of billiards/bridge/cards/chess/darts/tennis

    4 measures
    a gallon of petrol
    an ounce of gold
    a pint of beer/milk
    a spoonful of medicine
    a yard of cloth

    5 types/species
    a species of fish
    a type of drug
    a variety of pasta
    a sort of cake

    5 abstract nouns
    a bit/piece of advice
    a bit of knowledge
    a grain of truth
    a spell of work
    a wink of sleep

    6 pairs
    a pair of boots/shoes/braces/glasses/jeans/pants/pyjamas/scissors/shorts/socks/stokings/tongs/trousers etc


    Have a nice day,

    madox

  5. Veron1's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 882
    #6

    Smile Re: Partitives!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-ox View Post
    hi,

    Partitives: they are those nouns which may refer to:

    1. specific items or amounts:
    a bar of chocolate/soap/metal
    blade of grass
    a block of marble/ice/wood
    a box of matches
    a book of stamps
    a breath of air
    a bar/cake of soup
    a cloud of dust
    a crust of bread
    a cube of ice
    a dash of soda
    a drop of oil
    a flash of light
    a grain of corn
    a jar of jam
    a jet of water
    a loaf of bread
    a lump of coal/sugar
    a pat of butter
    a clap of thunder
    a piece of wood/furniture/paper/glass/chalk/information/wisdom
    a pile of earth
    a pinch of salt
    a portion of food
    a puff of smoke
    a role of paper
    a sip of tea
    a speck of dust
    a slice of bread/cake
    a sheet of paper
    a stick of chalk
    a strand of hair/wool

    2 containers
    a barrel of beer
    a basket of fruit
    a bottle of milk
    a packet of cigarettes
    a glass of water
    a jug of water
    a mug of cocoa
    a tin of soup
    a tupe of paste
    a vase of flowers

    3 games
    a game of billiards/bridge/cards/chess/darts/tennis

    4 measures
    a gallon of petrol
    an ounce of gold
    a pint of beer/milk
    a spoonful of medicine
    a yard of cloth

    5 types/species
    a species of fish
    a type of drug
    a variety of pasta
    a sort of cake

    5 abstract nouns
    a bit/piece of advice
    a bit of knowledge
    a grain of truth
    a spell of work
    a wink of sleep

    6 pairs
    a pair of boots/shoes/braces/glasses/jeans/pants/pyjamas/scissors/shorts/socks/stokings/tongs/trousers etc


    Have a nice day,

    madox
    Madox, thank you very much
    Are they yours or you have any sites or sources
    Please I'm very much interested.

  6. Mad-ox's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 3,471
    #7

    Re: Partitives!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Veron1 View Post
    Madox, thank you very much
    Are they yours or you have any sites or sources
    Please I'm very much interested.
    I have not found any site regarding partitives, but most of the grammar books mention about partitives.

  7. Veron1's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 882
    #8

    Smile Re: Partitives!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad-ox View Post
    I have not found any site regarding partitives, but most of the grammar books mention about partitives.
    Thank you ,friend

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •