Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #1

    blistering

    It is blistering hot and extremely humid in summer.

    - In what other things can we use blistering for?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    #2

    Re: blistering

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    It is blistering hot and extremely humid in summer.
    - In what other things can we use blistering for?
    Disclaimer:I'm not a teacher. Reference is made to Longman Dict.
    Very critical remarks in expressing anger and disapproval
    for example, blistering attack/criticism etc.

    She launched into a blistering attack on her teacher.

    Used to describe actions in sport which are very fast or forceful
    LIU Xiang, the Chinese hurdle runner, sets a blistering pace from the start.

  2. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #3

    Re: blistering

    Quote Originally Posted by albertino View Post
    Disclaimer:I'm not a teacher. Reference is made to Longman Dict.
    Very critical remarks in expressing anger and disapproval
    for example, blistering attack/criticism etc.

    She launched into a blistering attack on her teacher.

    Used to describe actions in sport which are very fast or forceful
    LIU Xiang, the Chinese hurdle runner, sets a blistering pace from the start.
    Is it fine to say: The boxer launched such blistering blows knock his opponent off.

  3. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #4

    Re: blistering

    Quote Originally Posted by albertino View Post
    Disclaimer:I'm not a teacher. Reference is made to Longman Dict.
    Very critical remarks in expressing anger and disapproval
    for example, blistering attack/criticism etc.

    She launched into a blistering attack on her teacher.

    Used to describe actions in sport which are very fast or forceful
    LIU Xiang, the Chinese hurdle runner, sets a blistering pace from the start.
    Is it fine to say: The boxer launched such blistering blows to knock his opponent off.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    #5

    Re: blistering

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    Is it fine to say: The boxer launched such blistering blows to knock his opponent off.
    Ricky Hatton vs. Stephen Smith (September 28, 2002)

    North County Times - Pro Sports - Standup guy Liddell retains UFC crown

  4. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #6

  5. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #7

    Re: blistering

    Oh, I'm sorry, but I don't agree that your sentence was correct: The boxer launched such blistering blows to knock his opponent off

    The boxer knocked out his opponent with a series of blistering blows is one way to rewrite it.

  6. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #8

    Re: blistering

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry, but I don't agree that your sentence was correct: The boxer launched such blistering blows to knock his opponent off

    The boxer knocked out his opponent with a series of blistering blows is one way to rewrite it.
    Could you tell me the problem with my sentence, pls?

  7. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #9

    Re: blistering

    It's the structure of using "such."

    The [person] [verb] such [a noun/nouns] THAT something else happened.
    The boxer launched such blistering blows that it was clear to anyone watching that his opponent never stood a chance.

    (I don't really like "launched such blistering blows" but grammatically it's okay. I'd prefer "threw such a blistering punch" if you want to keep the blistering part.)

    In boxing, you knock someone OUT, not OFF.

    This would be okay: The teacher gave the student a blistering scolding to ensure he would understand how serious the situation is.

    or this: The teacher gave the teacher such a blistering scolding that the student knew the situation was serious.

    I'm not sure I've explained anything, but I hope the examples help.

  8. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #10

    Re: blistering

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    It's the structure of using "such."

    The [person] [verb] such [a noun/nouns] THAT something else happened.
    The boxer launched such blistering blows that it was clear to anyone watching that his opponent never stood a chance.

    (I don't really like "launched such blistering blows" but grammatically it's okay. I'd prefer "threw such a blistering punch" if you want to keep the blistering part.)

    In boxing, you knock someone OUT, not OFF.

    This would be okay: The teacher gave the student a blistering scolding to ensure he would understand how serious the situation is.

    or this: The teacher gave the teacher such a blistering scolding that the student knew the situation was serious.

    I'm not sure I've explained anything, but I hope the examples help.
    In my sentence I used "such" as an intensifier of "blistering blows" and I don't think it would affect the rest of the sentence.

    But I see that you're examples are better than mine.

    I see that to "knock someone off" is to kill him and to "knock someone out" is to render him unconscious...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •