Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    #1

    A Gag

    "A man without a woman is like a fish without a
    bicycle."

    My wife was in beauty saloon for two hours. That
    was only for the estimate.

    What do they(the underlined) mean?
    Last edited by albertino; 25-Jul-2007 at 05:19.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #2

    Re: A Gag

    Fish don't need and cannot use bikes; it serves to emphasise how women have no need of men.
    An estimate is a calculation of the approximate cost, not the treatment.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845
    #3

    Re: A Gag

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Fish don't need and cannot use bikes; it serves to emphasise how women have no need of men.
    An estimate is a calculation of the approximate cost, not the treatment.
    Got it. Thank you.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: A Gag

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Fish don't need and cannot use bikes; it serves to emphasise how women have no need of men.
    ...
    Albertino - maybe you didn't understand the fish/bicycle thing because you had heard it mis-quoted. It was a commonly quoted line in the '60s and '70s in in association with feminists such as Kate Millett (Kate Millett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and Germaine Greer (Germaine Greer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in the form "A woman without a man...".

    b

  2. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    #5

    Re: A Gag

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Albertino - maybe you didn't understand the fish/bicycle thing because you had heard it mis-quoted. / ... "A woman without a man...".
    The way in which teachers interpret how learners assess new language interests me, and so when you noticed that switching the nouns (woman / man) could cause confusion, it intrigued me somewhat because the simile's meaning; i.e., A and B are not inherently connected, stays constant; i.e., B and A are not inherently connected. So, could you help me in understanding how you see switching the nouns could cause a learner confusion?

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #6

    Re: A Gag

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    The way in which teachers interpret how learners assess new language interests me, and so when you noticed that switching the nouns (woman / man) could cause confusion, it intrigued me somewhat because the simile's meaning; i.e., A and B are not inherently connected, stays constant; i.e., B and A are not inherently connected. So, could you help me in understanding how you see switching the nouns could cause a learner confusion?
    It was a veiled compliment, Casi - I was suggesting that it was more obvious that women are indispensable to men than vice versa.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,903
    #7

    Re: A Gag

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Albertino - maybe you didn't understand the fish/bicycle thing because you had heard it mis-quoted. It was a commonly quoted line in the '60s and '70s in in association with feminists such as Kate Millett (Kate Millett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and Germaine Greer (Germaine Greer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) in the form "A woman without a man...".

    b
    Oops- I misread it the trad feminist way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •