Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

self-righteous vs. hypocritical

Is there a difference between the adjectives "self-righteous" and "hypocritical"? Or do they mean just the same?

Re: self-righteous vs. hypocritical

There is a difference.

To be self-righteous means that one is certain that one is totally correct or morally superior

To be hypocritical is to claim to have higher standards or beliefs than is the case or to act in contradiction to stated beliefs.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka View Post
    Is there a difference between the adjectives "self-righteous" and "hypocritical"? Or do they mean just the same?
    Being self-righteous is being (highly)confident of one's own righteousness. "I'm am now righteous enough to get to heaven."

Being hypocritical is pretending to be moral though one is not. Like the Pharisees in the time of Jesus that they impose so much of the law that they themselves do not do.... In front of people they seem to be moral and religious though behind the scenes they truly are not but only shows mere pretention.

{a worshipper not a teacher}

Thank you for your answers, I believe I can understand the difference now... At least I hope so .
    I don't know how to translate the word into my mother tongue, Czech, though.

Blouen, I don't know much (almost anything, actually) about the Pharisees, but do I understand you well? Do you mean that pharisaic is not the same as self-righteous? How come? In the following dictionary (ARTFL Project: Webster Dictionary, 1913, it is said that pharisaic and self-righteous are synonyms...
    There is a word "farizejský" in Czech, which is also derived from the Pharisees, but this word means "hypocritical" as well. When I type the word self-righteous into my English-Czech PC dictionary, it gives me the translation "farizejský". But "farizejský" means hypocritical, so how come it is said that pharisaic and self-righteous mean the same?
    I don't understand it!
    Last edited by Lenka; 28-Jul-2007 at 17:26. Reason: typo

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

Smile Re: self-righteous vs. hypocritical

Pharisees (far-uh-seez)
    A group of teachers among the Jews at the time of Jesus; he frequently rebukes them in the Gospels for their hypocrisy. Jesus says they are like ?the blind leading the blind,? or like ?whited sepulchers, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.?

http://www.answers.com/pharisees

In dictionary.com, pharisaic, hypocritical, and self-righteous are synonymous but, of course, they are related not totally the same in meaning.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Anything involving the story of Jesus is bound to have a fair sprinkling of editorial interference. Hypocritical people can sometimes make a display of self-righteousness, and sometimes self-righteous people can seem to be hypocritical. In much of the New Testament the Pharisees are called either hypocritical or self-righteousness, depending on the viewpoint of the commentator/analyst. The two words have different meanings, but are readily confused - especially in contexts where people have axes to grind [unstated reasons for making a particular point]. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom-fighter. The same goes for self-righteous and hypocritical. (I apologize for not making your translation job any easier!)

b

"Hypocritical" can refer to pretending to have virtues or high standards one does not really possess, but the pretense doesn't have to involve virtues. For instance, I might tell my boss how much I admire her, how wise her decisions are, etc., even though I really think she's an idiot. In doing so I would be a hypocrite, but not what Jesus called a "whited sepulchre."

[not a teacher]

Ehm... I am not that sure I really do understand the difference. In fact, I don't understand it more and more...
    Thank you for your answers, anyway. I'll speculate about the problem while having a shower...

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    "Hypocritical" can refer to pretending to have virtues or high standards one does not really possess, but the pretense doesn't have to involve virtues. For instance, I might tell my boss how much I admire her, how wise her decisions are, etc., even though I really think she's an idiot. In doing so I would be a hypocrite, but not what Jesus called a "whited sepulchre."

[not a teacher]
    Delmobile, I don't understand what you mean at all! I just don't know whether the reason why I don't understand is my poor English or my brain.
    Could you make it a little clearer to me, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Beag View Post
    It's all about virtues.

A self-righteous person sees virtue in himself and lets you know.
    A hypocrite preaches virtue, but isn't virtuous himself.

As an example, I'll use the virtue of charity -- giving things away.

A self-righteous person might give money to the poor then tell everyone how good he is, and he will criticise you for not doing the same as him.

A hypocrite will tell people that they should give money to the poor, but doesn't give any money himself.

Any clearer?

NB -- newly qualified teacher. Hooray!
    Congratulations, Niall!

Thank you for the explanation; it was helpful.
    Moreover, I was really thinking about it (while having the (or should I use the indefeinite article here, althought I've already mentioned it before?) shower) and now I believe I can claim that I understand the difference, at last! I have also found a Czech translation for it .

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    For instance, I might tell my boss how much I admire her, how wise her decisions are, etc., even though I really think she's an idiot. In doing so I would be a hypocrite, but not what Jesus called a "whited sepulchre."

[not a teacher]
    Delmobile, I was thinking about it and I do understand what you meant now. But I still don't understand why "you would be a hypocrite, but not what Jesus called a "whited sepulchre". Why would you not be considered a "whited sepulchre" by Jesus?

Because just kissing up to your boss does not a whited sepulchre make. If, however, your boss is the head of a large church, and the "kissing up" involves pretending to have lots of Christian virtue and demonstrating a lot of false piety---then you would be a whited sepulchre, as well as a suck-up.

Niall, your explanation was beautiful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast