Results 1 to 5 of 5

    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 133
    #1

    Would you give me a helpful hand?

    One of the four sentences has a grammatical error in it.
    I think the sentence (d) Don't worry, this cold weather isn't going to last for much long. is quite possible to be an answer, since for much long should be changed into for very long . But I'm not quite sure. I also think the sentence (a) has an error in it because it has no subject.
    Tonight, we'll expect a 40% chance of flurries ~~~~ might be correct.
    It's quite confusing to me. So, please help me find an error hidden in those sentences.


    (a) Tonight, expect a 40% chance of flurries with temperatures dipping down to -9 degrees Celsius. (b) Tomorrow we'll see cloudy weather with some sunny breaks. (c) We'll experience lows of -12 degrees in the morning, warming up to -3 in the afternoon. (d) Don't worry, this cold weather isn't going to last for much long.
    Last edited by siruss; 26-Jul-2007 at 04:23.

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #2

    Re: Would you give me a helpful hand?

    Hello Siruss, I'm glad to give you a helping hand.

    You are correct. D should be "much longer."

    [A writer, not a teacher]


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 133
    #3

    Re: Would you give me a helpful hand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Hello Siruss, I'm glad to give you a helping hand.

    You are correct. D should be "much longer."

    [A writer, not a teacher]

    Oops, I made a mistake.
    A helping hand is right, isn't it?

    Thank you for your helping hand.
    Have a nice day!

  2. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #4

    Re: Would you give me a helpful hand?

    Quote Originally Posted by siruss View Post
    Oops, I made a mistake.
    A helping hand is right, isn't it?

    Thank you for your helping hand.
    Have a nice day!
    Yes! helping hand is correct.

    Barb_D has been very helpful when you asked for a helping hand.


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #5

    Re: Would you give me a helpful hand?

    Quote Originally Posted by siruss View Post
    One of the four sentences has a grammatical error in it.
    I think the sentence (d) Don't worry, this cold weather isn't going to last for much long. is quite possible to be an answer, since for much long should be changed into for very long . But I'm not quite sure. I also think the sentence (a) has an error in it because it has no subject.
    Tonight, we'll expect a 40% chance of flurries ~~~~ might be correct.
    It's quite confusing to me. So, please help me find an error hidden in those sentences.


    (a) Tonight, expect a 40% chance of flurries with temperatures dipping down to -9 degrees Celsius. (b) Tomorrow we'll see cloudy weather with some sunny breaks. (c) We'll experience lows of -12 degrees in the morning, warming up to -3 in the afternoon. (d) Don't worry, this cold weather isn't going to last for much long.
    [a] = Tonight [we] expect..... {{Tonight is "now"}}

Similar Threads

  1. Give a hand
    By hlbert03 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2007, 13:45
  2. Hand in Hand vs. Hand in Glove
    By doobadoo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2006, 13:59
  3. hi,buddy!Can you give me a hand?
    By shepherd007 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-Jul-2006, 18:32
  4. Give her/him a big hand ?
    By namsteven in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2005, 12:46
  5. Can you give a hand for another toptic?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Dec-2003, 15:11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •