• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

names

In the West most people have surnames and some have even middle names. What are the rules governing the formation, adoption and use of first names middle names and surnames? Could you explain them with suitable examples?
    Last edited by balakrishnanijk; 30-Jul-2007 at 15:44. Reason: spelling

Re: names

Can you explain with an example what is puzzling you?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

In the UK, family names come from the parents; we have used them for a long time. Many family names have their origin in professions, like cooper (a person who made barrels) or smith. The first and middle names are chosen by the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by balakrishnanijk View Post
    In the West most people have surmanes and some have even middle names. What are the rules governing the formation, adoption and use of first names middle names and surnames? Could you explain them with suitable examples?
    I have two middle-names, Lee and Maria. My father's parents are French, and they are also Roman Catholic. According to that faith, when female children are baptized, which is usually when they are babies, they are given the name Maria (which is French for Mary, the mother of Jesus/the mother of God). When male children are baptized, they are given the name Joseph (which was Mary's husband's name). So, that's why my 2nd middle-name is Maria. By the way, all of my sisters, three in all, also have the name Maria as their second middle-name.

Lee, my 1st middle-name, was given to me by my mother. She gave my sisters and I middle names that start with the letter L. No reason.

My first name (not Casiopea) is a female variant of my great uncle's name. He died very young, in WWII, and so years later, much later, out of rememberance for him I was named after him, as was my uncle, and his son.

My sisters' children get their middle-names from all different sources. Some are named after their grandparents, others are named after good friends, and yet others are named after famous people.

Hope that helps some.