Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #1

    catch

    What the catch?

    * What do you really mean by this?

  2. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #2

    Re: catch

    What's the catch? - I mean

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #3

    Re: catch

    The "catch" is the part of something that isn't as wonderful as the rest of the deal.

    For example, a car is advertised as only being $99 per month. The catch is that you have to pay for it for 10 years.

    Often, whem something seems too good to be true, you ask "What's the catch?" because you know there's something else that's not immediately obvious that is not as good as the rest.

  4. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #4

    Re: catch

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    The "catch" is the part of something that isn't as wonderful as the rest of the deal.

    For example, a car is advertised as only being $99 per month. The catch is that you have to pay for it for 10 years.

    Often, whem something seems too good to be true, you ask "What's the catch?" because you know there's something else that's not immediately obvious that is not as good as the rest.
    You mean that if I'm suspicious of some offer then I could ask "What's the catch?" for them to reveal something, that is beneficial on their part ,which may be bad for me.

  5. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #5

    Re: catch

    Yes. Although if they are really trying to fool you, that won't work. But let's say your friend says that she'll treat you to lunch at the fanciest restaurant in town. You ask "what's the catch" and she admits that she has to entertain her incredibly annoying cousin and the cousin will be at the lunch too.

  6. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #6

    Re: catch

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Yes. Although if they are really trying to fool you, that won't work. But let's say your friend says that she'll treat you to lunch at the fanciest restaurant in town. You ask "what's the catch" and she admits that she has to entertain her incredibly annoying cousin and the cousin will be at the lunch too.
    For practice:

    What's the catch Barb_D? that you're answering questions here in the forums.

  7. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #7

    Re: catch

    Oh, that's easy. I'm really a spy gathering intelligence about the language abilities of our political enemies! :P

    (You know what's sad? There are people who would probably believe that.)

  8. blouen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3,340
    #8

    Re: catch

    Soon your political enemies would be as good as you in language, since you're a spy who's telling us you're language secrets.
    Thanks Barb_D!

  9. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #9

    Re: catch

    Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post
    Soon your political enemies would be as good as you in language, since you're a spy who's telling us you're language secrets.
    Thanks Barb_D!
    Somebody made a homophone mistake.


    (Barb_D isn't really an American. She's an Armenian. (Just joking.))

  10. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #10

    Re: catch

    Sshhh! RonBee, I'm really from the planet Zorg, where they make us learn English while we are still growing in our test tubes. Being an American is my "deep cover" assignment for when we take over the Earth. :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. is possible to catch a british accent ?
    By Marceloatp in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2007, 15:31
  2. catch a ...
    By Juan Antonio in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2006, 06:36
  3. Catch attention??
    By cok in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2006, 15:39
  4. to catch up on
    By Bolo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Apr-2005, 03:40
  5. Catch up
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Jun-2003, 22:52

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •