Results 1 to 7 of 7

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 722
    #1

    I am to

    What's the difference between:
    I am to come to Helen's party tonight
    I am going to come to Helen's party tonight
    I'll be coming to Helen's party tonight?

  1. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #2

    Re: I am to

    First of all, if you are planning to attend the party, you are going to the party.

    I am to go to Helen's party tonight = I am supposed to go to Helen's party

    I am gong to go to Helen's party tonight = I am planning to go to Helen's party tonight

    I'll be going to Helen's party tonight = I am planning to go to Helen's party tonight.
    ~R

  2. onetwothree's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 191
    #3

    Re: I am to

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    First of all, if you are planning to attend the party, you are going to the party.

    I am to go to Helen's party tonight = I am supposed to go to Helen's party


    I am gong to go to Helen's party tonight = I am planning to go to Helen's party tonight


    I'll be going to Helen's party tonight = I am planning to go to Helen's party tonight.
    ~R
    Excuse me, sir!
    Can you explain clearer,please?

  3. onetwothree's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 191
    #4

    Re: I am to

    Oh!!! I've got it. Thank you.


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 722
    #5

    Re: I am to

    So,
    I am gong to go to Helen's party tonight = I am planning to go to Helen's party tonight

    I'll be going to Helen's party tonight = I am planning to go to Helen's party tonight
    The two are exatcly the same, any different?


    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 722
    #6

    Re: I am to

    BTW, what about it:
    Where is Tom?
    He is gone and never to come back again

    Two things need to add:
    Is He is gone different from He has gone?
    and Never to come back here doesn't mean "forced to do" right?

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,551
    #7

    Re: I am to

    Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    BTW, what about it:
    Where is Tom?
    He is gone and never to come back again
    He is gone, and he is never coming back again.

    Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    Two things need to add:
    Is He is gone different from He has gone?
    and Never to come back here doesn't mean "forced to do" right?
    "He is gone" and "He has gone" have at least one thing in common--he isn't "here" anymore.

    "He is gone never to come back" doesn't say how he left.

    ~R

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •