1. ggee

Smile I would be thankful

I would be thankful if any of you could correct my conversation. You just indicate the wrongs or replace the words instead of my words. I would be happy if you put some suitable words (that means a word which is mostly used in the correct place) instead of mine. This conversation is between the Manager and the Accountant.

Manager : What about the cheque which I gave you yesterday? Did you post it or not?

I ve already given it to the office boy! I think he didnít post it.

Manager : Why?

I couldnít ask him coz he was very busy.

Manager : No, no you should have ordered him to post the cheque. I canít ask him coz you are the responsible person for that

I too not able to order him anything. Coz he tell that he was appointed as an office boy for only the executive secretary, then he was given work by the assistant manager when executive secretary was in the vocation (leave). Now the excutive secretary came and give the usual works but his assistant manager did nt stop him giving work. He said he is not able to work under three or more superiors. How could I order him to do anything at this juncture?

Re: I would be thankful

Manager : What about the cheque I gave you yesterday, did you post it or not?

Accountant: I gave it to the office boy! I don't think he posted it. <correction>

Manager: Why would he do that?

Accountant: I haven't had time to ask him if he posted it or not. He is and was very busy.

Manager : Then you should have ordered him to post the cheque. You are, after all, the accountant, and it's your responsibility to make sure the cheques are posted. So, find out where the cheque is, please.

Accountant: I will, and in all fairness, I didn't feel it was appropriate to order him to do anything, let alone post the cheque. He tells me he was appointed as an office boy for the executive secretary only, but that when s/he was on vacation leave, he was given work by the assistant manager, and now that the excutive secretary is back and is giving him his usual workload, the assistant manager is still giving him work. The office boy said he is unable to work under three or more superiors. So, you see, given the circumstances, how could I have order him to do anything?
    Last edited by Casiopea; 06-Aug-2007 at 13:18.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Smile Re: I would be thankful

Thanks for your valuable reply. i would be greatful to you. Still i have some doubts in my conversation

in the second line.
    you have corrected my sentence as following
    "Accountant: I've gave it to the office boy! I don't think he posted it."
    I've gave it. that mean i have gave it? its a type error?

another line
    "You are, after all, the accountant, and it's your responsibility to make sure the cheques are posted. "
    why should we use "after all". what does it actually means here? may i thing it will underestimate the position.

another line
    He tells me he was appointed as an office boy for the executive secretary only, but that when s/he was on vacation leave, he was given work by the assistant manager,

"But that" is correct in this line?

once again i thank you

suga

Suga, you're most welcome for the help.

[1] I've gave it was a typo, yes, and I have since corrected it. It should have read I gave it.

[2] after all means despite what has occurred or been assumed previously. It's synonymous with nevertheless.

[3] He tells me he was appointed as an office boy for the executive secretary only,
    but that ... <spoken>

OR

[3] He tells me he was appointed as an office boy for the executive secretary only;
    however, that ... <written>

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

thanks a lot...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I'm sure this was a typo. Cas meant to say (I think):
    So, you see, given the circumstances, how could I have ordered him to do anything?