Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: What are they?

  1. Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 845

    What are they?

    I would like to ask whether the following terms are certificates of English Language or not in the UK? Which one is in the highest and the lowest standing in terms of international recognition? How could I get such qualifications if I am a non-native?

    ESL=English as a Second Language
    ESOL=English as a Second Language to Overseas Learners
    EFL=English as a Foreign Language
    TEFL=Teaching English as a Foreign Language
    TESL=Teachers of English as a Second Language
    TESOL=Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages

    Thank you for your advice.

  2. Editor,
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 60,190

    Re: What are they?

    These are terms covering the work or studies. They are not in themselves qualifications. In terms of recognition, the best known qulaifications are IELTS, Cambridge ESOL exam suite (FCE, CAE, CPE, etc) and TOEFL.

    For more information, try here:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts