Results 1 to 9 of 9

    • Join Date: Jan 2007
    • Posts: 1,740
    #1

    got off = to begin sexual relationship

    She'd got off with some bloke at the party.

    I know got off means "to begin with sexual relationship".

    I think if there were a party, there would be many people to attend the party. So I wonder how she would do sex with the bloke in front of so many people.

    Please help me.

  1. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #2

    Re: got off = to begin sexual relationship

    Your original sentence doesn't really work for me.
    She's got off?

    Note that "got off" is a slightly vulgar way to say "had an orgasm" not "begin a sexual relationship."

    You can say "Whatever gets you off" as a crude way to say "Whatever makes you happy."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,910
    #3

    Re: got off = to begin sexual relationship

    Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    She'd got off with some bloke at the party.

    I know got off means "to begin with sexual relationship".

    I think if there were a party, there would be many people to attend the party. So I wonder how she would do sex with the bloke in front of so many people.

    Please help me.
    They could have gone into an empty room.

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #4

    Re: got off = to begin sexual relationship

    Interesting. Don't use it that way in the US. If you say "The snuck into the bedroom and they both got off" it means they did a bit more than kiss!


    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 556
    #5

    Re: got off = to begin sexual relationship

    You mentioned "whatever gets you off" earlier; I have most often heard this expression used negatively, as in "Steve is such a jerk. I think he really gets off on making the people who work for him suffer."

    [not a teacher]

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,910
    #6

    Re: got off = to begin sexual relationship

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Interesting. Don't use it that way in the US. If you say "The snuck into the bedroom and they both got off" it means they did a bit more than kiss!
    Same in the UK.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,221
    #7

    Re: got off = to begin sexual relationship

    That's odd - there were other posts here that said that it means only to kiss in the UK. Now they are gone. Anyway... Gary, be VERY careful how you use this expression unless you're talking about getting off a bus or getting off the train.

    [still a writer, and still not a teacher]


    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 556
    #8

    Re: got off = to begin sexual relationship

    Well now, there's another idiomatic use of the phrase. "I'd like to know where you get off trying something like that," or (ruefully) "I guess she told me where to get off." In both usages, "get off" seems to mean "possess a sense of entitlement," which in the second example is being denied (?)

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #9

    Re: got off = to begin sexual relationship

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    That's odd - there were other posts here that said that it means only to kiss in the UK. Now they are gone. Anyway... Gary, be VERY careful how you use this expression unless you're talking about getting off a bus or getting off the train.

    [still a writer, and still not a teacher]
    I haven't heard that. But in some cases it might involve even less in the way of physical contact - maybe just holding hands, or agreeing to a date. (In the UK, that is.)

    But I agree with Barb about the need for extreme caution.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-May-2007, 08:58
  2. relationship or relation?
    By bosun in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Sep-2006, 05:04
  3. How do I begin to write a reflection
    By dawn gadd in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-Jul-2006, 18:06
  4. begin to or begin -ing
    By Srdjan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Feb-2006, 09:02
  5. gift relationship?
    By bosunyum in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Dec-2005, 05:48

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •