Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

Could you tell me the meaning of: Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms?

Szymon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Mr - Mister, a male, Mr Smith, Mr Jackson
Mrs - married female, Mrs Smith, or Mr X's wife, contraction of 'mistress', mind pronunciation [mɪsɪz]

Miss - unmarried woman, [mɪs]
Ms - shows no reference to a woman's marital status, as with 'Mr'. pronounced [mɪz] or [məz])

bieasy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
Mrs - married female, Mrs Smith, or Mr X's wife, contraction of 'mistress', mind pronunciation [mɪsɪz]

Ms - shows no reference to a woman's marital status, as with 'Mr'. pronounced [mɪz] or [məz])

Thank you

Pollik

Member Type
Other
This may be a little off track, but are there any legal requirements in using these terms?

Does a married woman have to use Mrs, or can she legally use Miss?

Or, a more extreme case, can a transsexual person simply start using a new salutation legally?

Polly

thod00

Member Type
Student or Learner

I dont believe that the law cares at all about titles, unless that is the cause of the dispute. She would be tried as Jane Doe, if she calls herself Mrs Doe, Dr Doe, or Her Royal Highness Lady Doe of Windsor, it is of no import.

Many widows still use Mrs although they are no longer married.

bieasy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
I dont believe that the law cares at all about titles, unless that is the cause of the dispute. She would be tried as Jane Doe, if she calls herself Mrs Doe, Dr Doe, or Her Royal Highness Lady Doe of Windsor, it is of no import.

Many widows still use Mrs although they are no longer married.

And a widow should be called "miss"?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And a widow should be called "miss"?

It depends upon the particular person. Some widows will continue to refer to themselves as "Mrs. John Doe" even 30 years after the passing of Mr. Doe. Others will revert to "Miss (or Ms.) Jane Roe" only months after Mr. Doe has passed.

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
It depends upon the particular person. Some widows will continue to refer to themselves as "Mrs. John Doe" even 30 years after the passing of Mr. Doe. Others will revert to "Miss (or Ms.) Jane Roe" only months after Mr. Doe has passed.

Just as an aside, in the province of Quebec, Canada, women MUST retain their birth name. They are now not allowed to use their husband's last name in any legal sense. It was and still is very difficult for women who were used to signing their last name as the one they aquired through marriage, to revert to a name that they might not have used for 40 years!

Pollik

Member Type
Other
It is all rather confusing, isn't it? Apart from the Provnce of Quebec, there doesn't seem to be any legal basis for which courtesy titles people are able to adopt.

So that leaves me wondering why a particular insurance company is refusing to change mine...I was hoping to twist their corporate arm into seeing sense, backed up with the letter of the law.

Oh well, nothing is ever simple, is it? :roll:

Polly

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
This may be a little off track, but are there any legal requirements in using these terms?

Or, a more extreme case, can a transsexual person simply start using a new salutation legally?

Polly

There is no legal requirement, It is largely a social nicety, and the problem of the transexual is still under discussion. If she/he calls themselves, "Miss" or "Ms", noone is likely to challenge the use.

Last edited:

whitechalk

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Sorry, if mine is off-topic. What about 'Madam' (contracted 'Mdm')?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'Ma'am' is used as to address the queen, though it's not a title. It is also pronounced with a short A. ;-)

whitechalk

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Isn't it true that people of some eastern countries once under British rule prefer to address distinguished ladies (government servants/officers, business people, etc...) with "madam" or "ma'am"?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Ma'am' is used as to address the queen, though it's not a title. It is also pronounced with a short A. ;-)

"Rhymes with 'spam'," the Duchess of York told us uneducated Colonists during her first "official" visit to the US. ;-)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Isn't it true that people of some eastern countries once under British rule prefer to address distinguished ladies (government servants/officers, business people, etc...) with "madam" or "ma'am"?

In AmE, it is traditional to address the female head of a committee as "Madam Chairman" or "Madam Chairperson," but only in corresondence or during an official meeting or hearing.

thod00

Member Type
Student or Learner
"Rhymes with 'spam'," the Duchess of York told us uneducated Colonists during her first "official" visit to the US. ;-)

My only experience is from the TV. I notice that they seem to rhyme it with 'farm' rather than 'spam'. This explains why the royals have never dropped by my house for a cup of tea, or a beer. Too busy off educating the colonials to have time for the likes of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.