Again some equivalent

Hi pals
    I'm again back to trouble you
    Please tell me what the equivalent for the description below is?

1. A handkerchief that you put over a pot (cooking utensils) in order to block exit of steam and to reach the last stage of cooking under the action of steam. Do you use handkerchief or there is another word?

2. what's the word for reaching the last stage of cooking under the action of steam

3. What's do you say when your bicycle's chain come down? for example your friend come and say can i have your bicycle and you say sorry it's ...... ; you (I) should repair it

4. Do you use "Change gear" for turning from 1 To 2 Or 2 To 3 in cars? For example, I was driving with gear 1 so the enginge heated quickly, or you might say to driver go to gear four

5. A place where just bicycles are repaired (nothing else repaired)?

6. A place where just motorcycles are repaired (nothing else repaired)?

7. A place where just cars are repaired (nothing else repaired)?

Thanx
    Best regards

Re: Again some equivalent

Quote Originally Posted by Petros View Post
    Hi pals
    I'm again back to trouble you
    Please tell me what the equivalent for the description below is?

1. A handkerchief that you put over a pot (cooking utensils) in order to block exit of steam and to reach the last stage of cooking under the action of steam. Do you use handkerchief or there is another word? This will depend on how you cook. In most American and European kitchens, a pan will have a lid made of the same material as the pan, or of glass. There is a method of cooking rice in which a cloth is used to cover the pan.
    Handkerchief is specifically the small cloth you carry in order to blow or wipe your nose.

2. what's the word for reaching the last stage of cooking under the action of steam I am not aware of a specific term.

3. What's do you say when your bicycle's chain come down? for example your friend come and say can i have your bicycle and you say sorry it's ...... ; you (I) should repair it "the chain has come off"

4. Do you use "Change gear" for turning from 1 To 2 Or 2 To 3 in cars? For example, I was driving with gear 1 so the enginge heated quickly, or you might say to driver go to gear four You say "change up" [1>2>3>45] or "change down" [5>4>3>2>1] or "change gear".

5. A place where just bicycles are repaired (nothing else repaired)? Bicycle repair shop

6. A place where just motorcycles are repaired (nothing else repaired)? Motorcycle repair shop

7. A place where just cars are repaired (nothing else repaired)? garage/service centre/service shop.

Thanks
    Best regards

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

The following answers strictly pertain to American English:

Quote Originally Posted by Petros View Post
    Hi pals

2. what's the word for reaching the last stage of cooking under the action of steam
    Pressure cooking, perhaps?

3. What's do you say when your bicycle's chain come down? for example your friend come and say can i have your bicycle and you say sorry it's ...... ; you (I) should repair it
    In the US, you'd say "Sorry, my chain's broken, I need to get it fixed."

4. Do you use "Change gear" for turning from 1 To 2 Or 2 To 3 in cars? For example, I was driving with gear 1 so the enginge heated quickly, or you might say to driver go to gear four
    We'd usually say "shift gears," but "change gears" is acceptable. "The roads were slippery, so I shifted into Low Gear."

5. A place where just bicycles are repaired (nothing else repaired)?
    A Bike Shop (or Bicycle Shop, but usually referred to as Bike)

6. A place where just motorcycles are repaired (nothing else repaired)?
    This illustrates one of the vagaries of American English...when referring to a motorcycle repair shop, we still call it a "Bike Shop" (motorcycles are colloquially referred to as "bikes" in the US). How do we know the difference? If you're new to an area, you'd ask for assistance by being specific: "My Harley needs a new clutch - is there a bike shop nearby?" -- or -- "My 10-speed has a flat tire, is there a bike shop around here?"

. A place where just cars are repaired (nothing else repaired)?
    Colloquially, we'd say "garage," as in "I had to take the bus to work today because my car is at the garage." However, in the US, there are specific repair places for cars...if your car has been in an accident and needs body work done, you'd take it to the "collision shop" or "body shop" or "bump shop." Likewise, there are also "muffler shops," "oil change shops," "transmission shops," etc.

Thank you all
    You helped me a lot