Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 2,081
    #1

    Question no coherent discussion...

    "No coherent discussion can dispense with clear organisation and progression of ideas."

    I have no problems with understanding the words and phrases, but when it to comes to understanding the whole sentence it appears to me illogical. I may be making some logical mistakes, so could you please paraphrase it (the sentence, not my mind, of course )?

    Nyggus

  1. bianca's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,044
    #2

    Re: no coherent discussion...

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    "No coherent discussion can dispense with clear organisation and progression of ideas."

    I have no problems with understanding the words and phrases, but when it to comes to understanding the whole sentence it appears to me illogical. I may be making some logical mistakes, so could you please paraphrase it (the sentence, not my mind, of course )?

    Nyggus
    No coherent discussion can do without a clear organisation and progression of the ideas.

    or

    A discussion cannot be coherent without a clear organisation and progression of the ideas.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 2,081
    #3

    Re: no coherent discussion...

    Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    No coherent discussion can do without a clear organisation and progression of the ideas.

    or

    A discussion cannot be coherent without a clear organisation and progression of the ideas.
    Thanks, bianca. This is how I understood this (or wanted to ), but still I don't follow the use of "dispense" here. This is something like "provide" and this is why I had problems with this sentence. Can you give me some examples of sentences with "dispense" used in a similar manner as in this sentence or convince me in any other way that this is ok?

    Thanks again,
    Nyggus


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #4

    Re: no coherent discussion...

    Dispense here is "to do without":

    I cannot dispense with food. = I cannot do without food

    The Government can dispense with parliamentary involvement at its peril. = If the Government does without parliamentary involvement, it will get into trouble.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jan 2006
    • Posts: 2,081
    #5

    Re: no coherent discussion...

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Dispense here is "to do without":

    I cannot dispense with food. = I cannot do without food

    The Government can dispense with parliamentary involvement at its peril. = If the Government does without parliamentary involvement, it will get into trouble.
    Oh, thanks. Now I understand the thing. It's a shame CALD does not give this meaning, quite different from "provide" .

Similar Threads

  1. 'discussion about' or 'discussion on'
    By Agnes in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-Jan-2007, 17:21
  2. Searching discussion activity
    By Panthera in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-Oct-2006, 20:13
  3. dealing(s), discussion or debate?
    By lazybear in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Mar-2006, 12:09
  4. my proposal: please add the discussion of CULTURE
    By japanjapan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-Jun-2005, 12:42
  5. Grammatical Terms Discussion
    By blacknomi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-Nov-2004, 18:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •