Results 1 to 6 of 6

    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 3
    #1

    strength, endurance, flexibility

    Hi


    I am looking for a correct translation of the following three German words, all in a sports context:

    (1) Kraft = strength; I think this translation should be correct. The word "power" wouldn't fit, would it?

    (2) Ausdauer = endurance / Kondition = condition; is it more common to use "endurance" or should I better use "condition"?

    (3) Beweglichkeit = flexibility; I try to avoid the use of "stretching", because that is not exatly the same, that would rather be kind of warm-up exercise. However, I am talking about physical elasticity.

    I am sorry if these questions look a bit stupid to you, but I just want to prevent the use of translations that could be misunderstood by English speakers.

    Thanks
    TheSandman


    • Join Date: Oct 2006
    • Posts: 19,434
    #2

    Re: strength, endurance, flexibility

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
    Hi


    I am looking for a correct translation of the following three German words, all in a sports context:

    (1) Kraft = strength; I think this translation should be correct. The word "power" wouldn't fit, would it?

    (2) Ausdauer = endurance / Kondition = condition; is it more common to use "endurance" or should I better use "condition"?

    (3) Beweglichkeit = flexibility; I try to avoid the use of "stretching", because that is not exatly the same, that would rather be kind of warm-up exercise. However, I am talking about physical elasticity.

    I am sorry if these questions look a bit stupid to you, but I just want to prevent the use of translations that could be misunderstood by English speakers.

    Thanks
    TheSandman
    #1 I agree would be better as strength.
    #2 really requires more context to be sure of what you should use.
    #3 I like physical elasticity - it says what you want.


    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 3
    #3

    Re: strength, endurance, flexibility

    Hi Anglika

    (2) I'am talking about jogging which is good to improve one's endurance/ condition. After Google "improve your condition" is more often used than "improve your endurance", but this could also be, because foreigners don't know the word "endurance". What do you think?

    (3) As a description "physical elasticity" isn't bad, but can really use this for a title? I mean, it shouldn't sound too academic/ scientific, because it is for a text about my hobbies which should be published on my personal website. That's why I thought of "flexibility", but I have no idea if that is the word an English speaker would use for that purpose. I have seen that "flexibility" is used quite often (Google) also in combination with "strength" and "endurance". However, in German "flexibility" is more used in a mental way. If you're able to quickly rearrange your schedule, then you're flexibel. That's why I'm a bit confused.

    Thanks
    TheSandman

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #4

    Re: strength, endurance, flexibility

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
    Hi Anglika

    (2) I'am talking about jogging which is good to improve one's endurance/ condition. After Google "improve your condition" is more often used than "improve your endurance", but this could also be, because foreigners don't know the word "endurance". What do you think?

    (3) As a description "physical elasticity" isn't bad, but can really use this for a title? I mean, it shouldn't sound too academic/ scientific, because it is for a text about my hobbies which should be published on my personal website. That's why I thought of "flexibility", but I have no idea if that is the word an English speaker would use for that purpose. I have seen that "flexibility" is used quite often (Google) also in combination with "strength" and "endurance". However, in German "flexibility" is more used in a mental way. If you're able to quickly rearrange your schedule, then you're flexibel. That's why I'm a bit confused.

    Thanks
    TheSandman
    Hi
    2] In my opinion condition could be better for your sentence :
    Jogging is good to improve one`s [physical] condition.[ jogging means to run at a leisurely, slow pace, esp. as an outdoor exercise: He jogs two miles every morning to keep in shape.]. I think jogging is not a test of endurance.
    Endurance:the ability or strength to continue or last, esp. despite fatigue, stress, or other adverse conditions: He has amazing physical endurance.


    3] What about physical adaptability or even flexibility as you already said ?

    All the best
    Last edited by Teia; 14-Aug-2007 at 21:40.


    • Join Date: Aug 2007
    • Posts: 3
    #5

    Re: strength, endurance, flexibility

    Thank you! I think I will use "condition" and "flexibility".

    TheSandman

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 1,948
    #6

    Re: strength, endurance, flexibility

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSandman View Post
    Thank you! I think I will use "condition" and "flexibility".

    TheSandman
    You are most welcome! I`m glad when I can be of help.

Similar Threads

  1. Strength
    By nyggus in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2007, 11:55
  2. Could never get the strength of you
    By Coenraedt in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Jun-2006, 05:33
  3. allow for flexibility?
    By ssendur in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Nov-2005, 08:25
  4. in modesty is strength
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Aug-2003, 21:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •