Talking i don't like it when

hello everybody.can any one explain the following structure to me?
    i don't like it when a cell phone rings in classroom.
    what is the role of IT,what is the role of WHEN, what is the rule to form this kind of structure and what is the function of such structure?
    thanx.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: i don't like it when

It’s a complex sentence (as opposed to a simple sentence) using the present tense. "I don't like it " is the main or independent clause and "when a cell phone rings in (the) classroom" is the dependent or subordinate clause. The subordinate clause is an adverb clause of time.

The role of ‘it’ is a pronoun referring to the whole situation or fact as stated in the subordinate clause. ‘When’ is a conjunction joining together the 2 clauses.

I know I haven’t answered the last part of your question. I need more time to do that or someone else can take this opportunity to explain to you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: i don't like it when

it - Definitions from Dictionary.com
    See the above link, particluarly dictionary.com #5 and american heritage dictionary #4.
    "it" is a pronoun and in your sentence "it" refers to the words that follow after "it". "it" is the situation of a cell phone ringing in (a)(the)classroom. I don't like it.
    The sentence can be rewritten as, 'When a cell phone rings in (a)(the) classroom, I don't like it.'

"when" refers to the times that a cell phone rings in (a)(the) classroom. I don't like those times.

Hopefully this will help a little.