redoubtable?

How to understand "redoubtable" here? What does "some redoubtable said antique" mean?
    Here is the sentence:
    The Different Junque Shoppe catered to odd tastes of off-the-wall preferences, erotic art, bizarre art and some redoubtable said "antiques".

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: redoubtable?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Lau
    How to understand "redoubtable" here? What does "some redoubtable said antique" mean?
    Here is the sentence:
    The Different Junque Shoppe catered to odd tastes of off-the-wall preferences, erotic art, bizarre art and some redoubtable said "antiques".
    Redoubtable can mean "awe/fear inspiring" or "worthy of honor or respect". In this case, I assume it means respectable/honored. The "said" doesn't fit there, however. :wink:

Respectable "antiques"? Does respectable here mean "of moderately good quality" ?
    I have thought the word "respectable/honored" usually describe a person. And why antiques use quotation marks?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Respectable in comparison to erotic art?

Susie Smith Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    redoubtable = formidable
    formidable (frm-d-bl) adj. 1. Arousing fear, dread, or alarm: the formidable prospect of major surgery.

The first time I read the post, I looked up "redoubtable" and then interpreted the phrase this way: formidable examples of so-called antiques. In other words, dreadful fakes. Does this make sense?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    redoubtable = formidable
    formidable (frm-d-bl) adj. 1. Arousing fear, dread, or alarm: the formidable prospect of major surgery.

The first time I read the post, I looked up "redoubtable" and then interpreted the phrase this way: formidable examples of so-called antiques. In other words, dreadful fakes. Does this make sense?
    I don't think the formidable use makes sense, but I think you have figured out the puzzle. Perhaps the word "said" is supposed to be "so-called" or "alleged". Then the quotation marks around "antiques" mean that theantiques are fakes. :wink:

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Respectable "antiques"? Does respectable here mean "of moderately good quality" ?
    I have thought the word "respectable/honored" usually describe a person. And why antiques use quotation marks?
    I'm not sure that "redoubtable" is the best choice there. I think the sense of the sentence is that these "antiques" are not really antiques at all.

Susie Smith Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    I'm not sure that "redoubtable" is the best choice there. I think the sense of the sentence is that these "antiques" are not really antiques at all.
    For many years I worked as a translator and believe me, people don't always say what they mean, as you also know, of course. :D I think the person who wrote the article meant doubtful, and he or she also misused "said", for the intended meaning must be so-called. It reminded me of something Tdol wrote, I think, in his archives. It was all about somebody who had used the word "meretricious" as deserved or deserving, I don't remember which now. :) I'm pretty sure we've cracked it.

:D :D :D :D

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    People often use big words without looking them up first.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    For many years I worked as a translator and believe me, people don't always say what they mean, as you also know, of course. :D I think the person who wrote the article meant doubtful, and he or she also misused "said", for the intended meaning must be so-called. It reminded me of something Tdol wrote, I think, in his archives. It was all about somebody who had used the word "meretricious" as deserved or deserving, I don't remember which now. :) I'm pretty sure we've cracked it.

:D :D :D :D
    I completely agree.