• Post Thanks / Like

being off a mill?

Just the width being off a mill makes the fuse incorrectly.

My question is what should I understand "being off a mill" here? Is it a special words? And "incorrectly"... Does it mean the fuse do not work?

thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: being off a mill?

Hello, iloveu.

I tried looking for the meaning of "being off a mill" or "being of a mill" and I couldn't find any. The sentence is difficult to understand. Can you please tell me where this text is from, or add a few sentences which appear before and after this sentence?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

A "mil" is a unit of measurement when referring to fuses. It is equal to one one-thousandth of an inch.

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi Scorpion,

It's so kind of you. The situation is the width of a roller causing quality issue. The reason should be the width being off a mill makes the fuse incorrectly. That's all I have in my hand. I just cannot catch the meaning of them. It must be something I do not know.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

If you are manufacturing fuses, the measurements must be accurate to a mil, or one one-thousandth of an inch. If the measurement deviates by even that miniscule amount, the fuse will not fit properly.

• Post Thanks / Like

Hello iloveu,

After reading Ouisch's post, the sentence is somewhat clearer. It might mean that, if the width of the roller is off by one mil (a thousandth of an inch would translate to 0.00254 cm), the fuse will, I assume, not fit.

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ouisch, your reply is helpful reference. However I still cannot understand the full sentence well. Thank you the same.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

"Being off" means the measurement is not accurate. For example, if I order a specially made cabinet for a big-screen TV, I'll supply the measurements (height, width and depth) to the cabinet maker. If I bring the cabinet home and it is half an inch too small, the TV won't fit inside. I'll call the cabinet maker and tell him "this cabinet is half an inch off."

A fuse plugs into a socket, and it must fit exactly. If the measurement is even just incorrect by one mil, it will not fit. The rollers you refer to, I believe, are the ones used to fabricate the metal plate and rows of connecting pieces used to manufacture fuses. The rollers must be of a very precise diameter in order to make fuse components of the proper size.

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: being off a mill?

yes, I think it is the point. great thanks and have a nice weekend!