• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

What is the meaning of the unlined phrase and sentences?

Hello Everyone,

What is the following unlined part?

James Cohen, criminal law professor at Fordham University, said the form likely cinched the case for many jurors.

"The fingerprints on the application, combined with the claim that Padilla's purpose was humanitarian when various Muslim charities are accused of being mere fronts for terrorism, adds up to a difficult defense," Cohen said.

Regards

SKY

Re: What is the meaning of the unlined phrase and sentences?

cinched the case = means that the jurors were convinced that the evidence presented was correct = it is a certainty.

combined with the claim that Padilla's purpose was humanitarian when various Muslim charities are accused of being mere fronts for terrorism,

Several Muslim charities are suspected of being fund-raising groups for terrorist groups; Padilla claimed to be working for a charity which was solely humanitarian in purpose.

The finding of his fingerprints on an application [form] together with his role with a suspect charity makes his defence position difficult.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    cinched the case = means that the jurors were convinced that the evidence presented was correct = it is a certainty.

combined with the claim that Padilla's purpose was humanitarian when various Muslim charities are accused of being mere fronts for terrorism,

Several Muslim charities are suspected of being fund-raising groups for terrorist groups; Padilla claimed to be working for a charity which was solely humanitarian in purpose.

The finding of his fingerprints on an application [form] together with his role with a suspect charity makes his defence position difficult.
    Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!

I have another two questions here!

After I reviewed the sentence several times, the difficulty for me to apprehend the sentence is that I can't find out the relationship between" he claim that Padilla's purpose was humanitarian " and "when various Muslim charities are accused of being mere fronts for terrorism," my question is how you can find the relationship! The other question is what the mere fronts mean here?

It is being argued that several Muslim charities are suspected to be fronts for terrorism fund-raising so the claim that Padilla's work [for the Muslim charity in which he worked] was purely humanitarian is a suspect claim.

A "front" here means that the character or qualities which a person or organization appears to have in public is different from their real character, and the purpose is often to deceive people or hide an illegal activity: there is a registered charity, but the moneys raised by that charity are used to fund terrorist activities, and not to support those who are in need of help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    It is being argued that several Muslim charities are suspected to be fronts for terrorism fund-raising so the claim that Padilla's work [for the Muslim charity in which he worked] was purely humanitarian is a suspect claim.

A "front" here means that the character or qualities which a person or organization appears to have in public is different from their real character, and the purpose is often to deceive people or hide an illegal activity: there is a registered charity, but the moneys raised by that charity are used to fund terrorist activities, and not to support those who are in need of help.
    THANKS A LOT .I HAVE CAUGHT THE MEANING OF THE FRONTS! IN THE LONGMAN DICTTIONARY I HAVEN'T FOUND SUCH MEANING!