• Post Thanks / Like

nitch

Hello,

The sentence is "just tight mil and a nitch in the roller shaft." By Ouisch's help, I understand mil is a measure unit. I cannot find nitch in the dictionary. I think it may be another unit for something. Please help me with it. Many thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: nitch

It may be a misspelling for "notch". It may be an attempt to say something so small it cannot be quantified.

What you have given us does not look like the full sentence. It does help to have the entire context.

• Post Thanks / Like

I can't find anything either for nitch. Context might help, yes.

Could it be?

nick (noun)
    1.a small notch, groove, chip, or the like, cut into or existing in something. 2.a hollow place produced in an edge or surface, as of a dish, by breaking, chipping, or the like: I didn't notice those tiny nicks in the vase when I bought it.

• Post Thanks / Like

Great thanks, guys. Your help is most helpful for me! I do want to give out more clues, however I've never got them from the guy who'd talked that.

Yes, that guy always made spelling mistakes. I think this one must be another one like mil.(he spelt as mill)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

These phrases are very industry-specific and may not always be found in a standard English dictionary.

I'm wondering if by "tight mil" he's referring to keeping a very close tolerance in the measurement; that is, the circumference of the roller cannot deviate more than plus or minus one mil.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    These phrases are very industry-specific and may not always be found in a standard English dictionary.

I'm wondering if by "tight mil" he's referring to keeping a very close tolerance in the measurement; that is, the circumference of the roller cannot deviate more than plus or minus one mil.
    Ouisch,

You are really a perfect detective. I do agree with your words.