opposite of widow

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_gary

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
(1) I know when a woman's husband dies, we say she is a widow. I wonder what do we say to a man when her wife dies.

(2) When someone's husband dies, we say widow. I wonder what do we say If someone's husband not died but he went off with some other girl; or if someone's husband was so arrogant that he told his wife to go back his home and no more he doesn't want her and he is going to marry other girl. How do we say such a woman/lady/girl?

Please help me.

Last edited:

mochimochi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
(2) When someone's husband dies, we say widow. I wonder what do we say If someone's husband not has not died but he went off with some other girl; or if someone's husband was so arrogant that he told his wife to go back his home and no more he doesn't want her and he is going to marry other girl. How do we say such a woman/lady/girl?

Please help me.

grass widow. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

b

PS
A related term (without a divorce or legal separation) is golf widow definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

Last edited:

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
(2) When someone's husband dies, we say widow. I wonder what do we say If someone's husband not died but he went off with some other girl; or if someone's husband was so arrogant that he told his wife to go back his home and no more he doesn't want her and he is going to marry other girl. How do we say such a woman/lady/girl?

She is a deserted wife.

If the husband goes off to play golf every day, she is a golf widow. If he goes of on business trips all the time, she is a business widow.

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other

She is a deserted wife

A grass widow is a woman whose husband is away often or for a prolonged period - as an extension, if the husband goes off to play golf every day, she is a golf widow.

Status
Not open for further replies.